Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Radio & Clock not working in 2002

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 06:56 PM
Default Radio & Clock not working in 2002

Okay, so I made a mistake in replacing the battery in a 2002 Elantra- I started to put the cables on the opposite terminals and you can guess the result... a sparking surprise. I immediately switched the battery around, but now the radio and clock in the car do not work. I checked all of the fuses in the cabin and those in the engine compartment, but they all checked out fine. Any thoughts on what happened and how I can fix this issue.

Thanks so much!

Old 08-10-2007, 07:18 PM
Default RE: Radio & Clock not working in 2002

Does the radio have a theftlock feature?

I.e. is the radio displaying a message saying code or theft?

Old 08-10-2007, 08:25 PM

No, the clock and radio are completely blank. I don't think there is a theft prevention feature on the 02 Elantra.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:11 PM

Hmm.... you may have fried the radio then.

Are you sure you checked all the fuses?
Underhood and in the car?

Old 08-12-2007, 11:41 AM

from some of my reading it seems highly likely that the radio has an "in-line" fuse protecting the unit. Does anyone know where this is located? Would it be in the engine compartment or behind the radio?

Thanks to anyone that may know the answer.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

If the radio, and the clock, and oh, say the door courtesy lamps, the trunk lamp, the dome lamp are all out, check Fuse 25 in the Passenger Compartment Fuse Box, the one at the right end of the bottom row:

I know you said you checked the fuses, but that's the one that controls all the stuff I listed. If it's not that, and those lights and stuff work, you may have a problem with your ETACS, the unit that controls your alarm and a lot of other functions in the car.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:05 PM

Thank you for your response.

Now that you mention it, I do notice that the overhead light and door lights do not work as well. Fuse 25 was burned out originally when I checked the fuses, so I replaced it- unfortunately this didn't cure any of the issues.

Are the ETACS and the TACS separate systems? I saw on the HMA service website that they list them separately. Are these units something I should attempt to replace or am I at a point where it would be best to let the professionals at the dealership figure out what is going on?

I appreciate any help that you can provide.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:05 PM

I think the radio itself has a fuse on it.
Pull out the radio and look behind. Then start checking your wireing for voltageand your power/ground connections.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

It's got to me a short then. Do you have an aftermarket radio? Try disconnecting that. That circuit also provides some power to the ETACS. (I think ETACS = TACS.)

Old 11-12-2007, 07:59 PM

ORIGINAL: pamador

Okay, so I made a mistake in replacing the battery in a 2002 Elantra- I started to put the cables on the opposite terminals and you can guess the result... a sparking surprise. I immediately switched the battery around, but now the radio and clock in the car do not work. I checked all of the fuses in the cabin and those in the engine compartment, but they all checked out fine. Any thoughts on what happened and how I can fix this issue.

Thanks so much!
I tried replacing my CD player and the same thing is happening in my 02 sonata. The cd player, clock are blank and the automatic key won't lock or unlock the car. I've checked all the fuses. any ideas?

Quick Reply: Radio & Clock not working in 2002