Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Starting Problems

Old 04-25-2006, 10:03 PM
Default Starting Problems

Hi everybody,

I'm new to the forums and I wanted to see if I could get some help.

I have 2003 Elantra with 40k miles and i've recently been having issues with the car starting.

Whenver the car has been sittting for a couple hours, i'll go in and turn the ignition but it won't start. The battery is working fine b/c lights, radio etc will all turn on.

The engine doesn't turn over at all but it does make a click sound like the starter is making an attempt.

This problem will happen anywhere between 5 - 20 minutes before the car will start at times.

Also at times pumping the gas will do the trick but its occasionally at best.

Any idea's on what it could be?

Old 05-16-2006, 12:10 AM
Default RE: Starting Problems

if it just clicks then your starter may be in the early stages of frying. that sounds like what was happening to me. after a while it took longer and longer between starts to finally start but i had to eventually replace my starter. btw i drive a 2000 elantra w/84K miles or so.

Old 05-16-2006, 12:31 AM

One thing to check is all the grounds.One at the bellhousing at the starter.Ck the battery terminals for corrosion.CLean them real good.

Old 05-20-2006, 04:24 PM

I have a similar question about my at 2003 elantra (~62k miles): Sometimes when starting after sitting for a time, the engine turns over, but hesitates & stalls out. I can usually get it started the second try; there are even times when I have to turn the key so that everything turns off, then start up the engine. Any possible conclusions?

Old 05-23-2006, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

I've heard that on some cars if it doesn't start when sitting a while (but still warm), it can be a bad fuel pump, especially if it starts again the second or third time.

Old 05-24-2006, 12:06 AM

[sm=smiley20.gif]
Since your car is just 3 years old, and only has 40K on it, why don't you use your WARRANTY and let Hyundai fix the problem?

Since they stand behind these cars ... take advantage of the program.
I don't think I am the only person with 5 years and 60k of bumper-to-bumper coverage. Also 10 years or 100k powertrain.

Good luck and let us know how you fare!

Old 05-30-2006, 07:31 PM

absolutely ^^^^^^ book into your local dealer sounds like starter motor fault.[8D]

Old 05-31-2006, 02:49 PM

I would certainly go the route of warranty if possible, however is this car a manual transmission? If so you will need a clutch safety switch. I have seen this many times, not a big repair.

Serviceguy

Old 01-14-2024, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by goaldrivenstudent
Hi everybody,

I'm new to the forums and I wanted to see if I could get some help.

I have 2003 Elantra with 40k miles and i've recently been having issues with the car starting.

Whenver the car has been sittting for a couple hours, i'll go in and turn the ignition but it won't start. The battery is working fine b/c lights, radio etc will all turn on.

The engine doesn't turn over at all but it does make a click sound like the starter is making an attempt.

This problem will happen anywhere between 5 - 20 minutes before the car will start at times.

Also at times pumping the gas will do the trick but its occasionally at best.

Any idea's on what it could be?

1) Clean the ground point from the battery negative cable to the body, 2) reach around the engine on the passenger side of the car. The starter is located under the intake manifold. You can usually feel the solenoid wires. Make sure the large cable that is the battery/fuse panel fed cable is secure. If not you will need a tech to properly diagnose it. A starter has this positive feed cable and the ignition switched small wire that activates the solenoid. They will test for switch positive feed. Good luck.