Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Strange engine/clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 02:10 PM
Default Strange engine/clutch problem

Hello I have the base 2002 Kia Spectra with the Hyundai 1.8l engine. While driving the other day, the engine started to make a really loud hissing sound as if it were a super large vaccum leak. As I continued to drive, the noise got louder and eventually my clutch started getting really stiff, almost to the point where i can barely shift.

Now that I have the car back home, when I start it up it makes a different weird noise that sounds more like an exhaust leak. The car has lots of power and the clutch is normal, until it warms up, then the clutch stiffens and the motor runs progressively worse. But when cold, the car runs like a dream.

I'm baffled at this point and the only explination that sounds legitimate to me is that there is a problem with the clutch pressure plate. I don't know what else would cause the "hissing" type sound from the engine, along with my clutch becoming hard as a rock whenever the car warms up.

Any input would be appreciated