Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Transmission Speed Sensor location

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 11:45 AM
Default Transmission Speed Sensor location

Hello folks my wife drives a 2000 or 2001 Elantra and for sometime now it has been shifting very hard from 2nd to 3rd. After the hard shift the check engine light comes on and the transmission stays stuck in 3rd gear making it hard to pass and hard to accelerate from a stop. Sometimes at highway speeds it will just cut out like the engine has stalled but the RPM's are still up. I have been led to belive through much research that it is the transmission speed sensor not properly reporting to the transmission ecm and causing things to get all messed up in the ecm for the engine as well. Now my question does anyone know the location of the tranny speed sensor? Is it on the top or the bottom of the tranny? There are three or four sensors on the top of the dirvers side of the tranny close to the firewall but I don't know which could be the speed sensor. I would take it to the dealer and have it serviced but at this point I would have to sell the car to pay the mechanic. The sensor is reported to be in the $50 to $100 range and if I can just figgure out which one it is then I can fix this easy. Any descreptions or diagrams or photos would be great. Thanks

Old 02-16-2009, 05:15 PM
Banned

You need to get a trouble code scan and it will tell you which sensor (if any) is bad. It might be something else, but you won't know without the scan. Go to Autozone for a free scan, write down the codes, and report back here for more info.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:03 AM

Have you ever tried registering on HMAService.com?

After registering, you can go to the "Shop" group and look up the diagrams. Choose "Elantra RD" (1996-2000), and then "Automatic Transaxle Sustem".

Anyway, it sounds like you have more trouble than just a speed sensor, which I highly doubt will solve your problem.

When was the last time to have the ATF replaced? When was the last time when you checked the fluid level properly (car in neutral, and idling at normal driving temp)?
More likely, your problem would reside with one of the following:
- Malfunction of Transaxle control module
- Malfunction of idle switch, or improper adjustment
- PCSV damaged or disconnected wiring (valve open or short-circuit)
- Malfunction of transaxle range switch, damaged or disconnected wiring, or improper adjustment
- Malfunction of valve body (sticking valve, working cavity, adjustment)
- Mulfunction of front/rear clutch and/or piston
- Improper adjustment of manual linkeage

There are schematics to adjust some of them... Anyway, all these are under "Abnormal vibration-shock when shifted to D-2-L-R" (so pretty much in all the gears....)
As you notice,some of them are electric-related, others are mechanical, and could be caused by low level of ATF for some period of time.

I feel for you, as I'm in a somewhat similar problem.
By the way, you should know that the transmission on that car is still under warranty (10 yrs), unless your miles are way beyond 100,000.
If that's the case, it sucks.

Good luck.
If you find the fix, please post it. Others may benefit from that knowlwdge.

Attached Thumbnails Transmission Speed Sensor location-speed-sensor.jpg  
Old 03-03-2009, 07:48 PM

as stated you need a code there is more than one sensor. also 2000 and 2001 have two completely different transmissions so we will need to know what you have in order to point you in the right location.

www.hmaservice.com is your friend

Old 07-23-2009, 04:14 PM

Yes hi I also drive a 00 elantra.Your wife's problem seems to be alot like mine,when driving my car it seems to have a hard time getting out of first gear but after about 5-10 minutes of driving it seems to jerk itself back into gear and then goes through the gears just fine.This seems to happen everytime i start my car and go for a drive.I had the code read and it came up as (p0707) which is the Transmission range sensor circuit(Low input).I am going to be bringing it to the transmission shop and find out the cost.Any transmission problems usually cost an arm and a leg so i am pretty nervous about this.I will post the price of the repair and any diagrams i may find but so far i havent had any luck with this problem/code....Goodluck everyone
P.S. If anyone has any information or a price range for this problem please email me at speltbackwards@yahoo.com
Thanks.