Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Wheel Bearings/Drive Axle

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 06:06 PM
Default Wheel Bearings/Drive Axle

Hoping we can get some help on this matter! I have a 2001 Hyundai Elantra. There was a loud noise coming from the passenger front wheel. We replaced the wheel bearing. The noise was gone. About 2-3 months later, the noise was coming from the other side. It was the wheel bearing on front driver side. We replaced it and the noise was gone again!! YEAH!!

Within another 3 month time span the passenger side made the noise again. This time I took it in for repair, they said oh it is your wheel bearing. I explained I had just replaced them both within the past 6 months. They insisted this is what it was. So I paid them to repair. Within 2 wks after the passenger side replacement, the driver side did it again. I again allowed the shop to repair it.

Now it has been 3-4 weeks since the driver side was repaired it is AGAIN making the same noise. I don't believe I have gotten 4 faulty wheel bearings back to back.

We have taken the wheel off and are just kind of looking. The large bolt that come out of the cv joint and through the wheel bearing has a weee tiny bit of slack in it. I don't know if that is normal or not. I don't know what the problem is...but am tired of throwing money into the same thing only to be fixed for a couple of weeks.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!