Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

creaking and rattling

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 09:03 PM

Its not really cold in my area yet...and Ive got three door panels that creak too much. In addition to a very noisy/creaky/groan coming from the hatch area. Cant tell if its the hatch itself or the suspension. Its easiest to duplicate when turning right on to some sort of incline. Thats just one of several issues with it.

Stef- took out all the items in the well...didnt help.

I guess Im one of the few who really is dissatisfied with the ET.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Again, the Elantra and Touring are $16,000 economy cars. I think you are expecting too much.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:57 AM

My wife drives a Chevy Aveo- the ET handles better and has a better sound system. Othwerwise- the ET gets trumped in all other categories....extending beyond creaks and rattles. They are similar price points.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

Let me fix that for you.
Originally Posted by blh7068
My wife drives a Chevy Aveo- the ET handles better and has a better sound system. Othwerwise - in my opinion - the ET gets trumped in all other categories....extending beyond creaks and rattles. They are similar price points.
Then I guess you should have bought another Aveo instead of a Touring.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:40 PM

This is amusing to see people buying non-expensive car but expecting Roll-Royce quality.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Stef_n
This is amusing to see people buying non-expensive car but expecting Roll-Royce quality.
My Toyota Corolla was totally squeak and rattle free for the entire 12 years that I owned it. Not exactly a Rolls by anybody's standards, so what is your point? Other companies mange to use interior plastics which don't emit this creaky/crackly noise over every hard bump.....that couldn't possibly add another couple of grand to the cost...

Old 11-02-2010, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Stef_n
[Self edited out my insulting reply]

No, I am not expecting Rolls quality, but I am expecting the same quality from my Hyundai that would be found in a new Ford Focus, Toyota Corolla or a VW Beetle.

Hyundai seems to agree with me as does the dealer. My ET had an EVIDENT problem that literally screamed there was something seriously wrong with the suspension. I appreciate their concerted effort to make certain the car drove as one would reasonably expect a new economy car to run.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:12 AM

My 2 cents! It is a cheep car!
made by people that are told to cut the quality for an out the door price !
You get what you paid for!!
I Did & should just shut up, when the problems that are coming,
& I should have bought an toyota, for 5000.00 more!!
You won't see an 12 year Hyundai of any kind still on the road from now.

Ron

Last edited by Rontier; 11-03-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:58 PM

How can it be my opinion when Im speaking strictly from my ownership experience? Thats exactly what Ive experienced between the two vehicles. Perhaps I should have qualified it with "my experience" ...my apologies

"Then I guess you should have bought another Aveo instead of a Touring."

Wow...couldnt see that coming, lol. Actually I needed a hatchback, and the Aveo 5 wasnt big enough.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:00 PM

FWIW- Im not expecting RR quality...but Ive driven a number of cars at this price point that arent as bad with the creaks and rattles Ive experienced with my ET.

Quick Reply: creaking and rattling