Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

creaking and rattling

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 09:24 PM

Even as Hyundai is getting (better??) that is yet to be seen ,
I've seen allot of used ET on the lots I just don't think people keep them long?
As for me that may be the same , I just don't think I can stand the heat of a TX summer in this car? But we will see!. The towel trick works for short trips under 200 miles! Again you get what you pay for! & I got an cheep noisey car!!
& one other thing The ET is higher to Insure over hondas & Toyota's, ?Why?
we thought they had a good safty record!
& as far as repairs go some can't be fixed!
just be happy !! wear Sunblock!!
& as far as Toyota corolla go- my father had an 1972 that went over 300.000Miles & he sold it ! in 1980 the little car was still going strong !

Last edited by Rontier; 11-04-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by blh7068
My wife drives a Chevy Aveo- the ET handles better and has a better sound system. Othwerwise- the ET gets trumped in all other categories....extending beyond creaks and rattles. They are similar price points.
LOL! I found this funny:

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...-cars-to-avoid

Seven Clunker Cars To Avoid
Life is still giving Detroit lemons, but that doesn't mean you should buy one.
By Hannah Elliott
Provided by Forbes Magazine

Things have been looking up for troubled American automakers. In October General Motors saw sales across all four of its brands (Chevy, Buick, Cadillac and GMC) rise 22% year-over-year. Chrysler's sales were up 37% during the same period, and Ford Motor's sales climbed more than 20%.

But overall life is still giving Detroit lemons: All seven vehicles on our roundup of 2010's biggest clunkers come from GM and Chrysler.

Ford Motor alone among the Big Three escaped the list, thanks to improvements in product construction and reliability--changes that took years to plan and implement, but have slowly gained critical and consumer recognition. And while industry experts say American consumers can expect good things from Detroit within the next couple of years, they aren't as optimistic about what's in showrooms right now.

Behind the Numbers
To determine 2010's biggest clunkers, we revisited a series of worst-of-the-worst lists, starting with our own The Most Dangerous Cars On The Road, Most Dangerous Trucks on the Road and Cars that Lose Their Value the Fastest. (We included depreciation rates because depreciation is the biggest expense of owning a car, and gives insight into whether consumers like their cars, and if they perceive them as reliable.)

We also looked at the 34 least-reliable cars as rated by Consumer Reports, and all vehicles that received a score of two stars or less on JD Power and Associates' annual dependability ratings. Any 2010 model car that appeared on at least three of these five lists makes our final ranking of the year's biggest clunkers. We did not include clunkers from now-defunct brands like Pontiac and Saturn.

It's All Relative
The car models on our list may rank at the bottom when you compare them to other new vehicles in their class. But just because a car counts as a "clunker" doesn't mean it's inherently dangerous or unreliable. Automobiles released in 2010 are safer, more reliable and better-made than cars made just a decade ago, and they're vastly better than anything made in the 1940s and '50s.

"If you're going to [ask about] unsafe cars in the market, or unreliable cars the market ... you'd have to say there aren't any," says Karl Brauer, senior automotive analyst at automotive website Edmunds.com. "You're really just down to the least-good cars, the cars that are below average."

Brauer says improvement comes mostly as a result of increasingly strict federal standards, which will continue to require safer and more efficient vehicles in the future. Two brands that have jumped ahead of the pack in those terms, according to Brauer? Korea's Hyundai and Kia.

Bottom of the Barrel
Still, it's impossible to ignore when a new car simply doesn't perform. Take Chrysler's Jeep Wrangler SUV: While it enjoys a fiercely loyal following of off-road and vintage-loving drivers, it doesn't perform as well as its competitors on federal and private safety tests.

Consumer Reports gave the Wrangler only 17 out of 100 points overall (anything above 70 is considered a "good" score) and criticized its ride, handling, braking, noise, fuel economy, fit and finish, visibility, front-seat comfort and access. The SUV received a less-than-glowing assessment: "We expect reliability to be worse than average, according to our latest subscriber survey," the Yonkers, N.Y.-based agency said.

Another Chrysler-made vehicle, the Sebring sedan, also appears on the list of clunkers. It's notoriously below-average in agility and performance tests and a frequent recipient of well-below-average reliability scores.

"The Sebring is one of the least competitive family sedans on the market," says Consumer Reports. "We found the 2.4-liter engine noisy and unrefined, and four-speed automatic unresponsive. The ride is unsettled, and handling is ungainly but ultimately secure. The interior has cheap, hard plastics, poor panel fit and uncomfortable seats." It's no surprise that the Sebring will be discontinued after the 2010 model year, to be replaced with the Chrysler 200.

Silver Lining For Detroit
Even though General Motors cars account for nearly half of the models on this list, it's not all bad news for the manufacturer: The three brands that saw the biggest year-over-year increases in new U.S. registrations are also Buick, Cadillac and GMC.

Tom Libby, an automotive analyst for R.L. Polk, says the strong showing in sales of those GM brands supports the notion that the auto industry is still "all about product." Buick's 58% increase over last year is due mostly to the recent introduction of the all-new Regal sedan, as well as nearly doubled sales of the updated Buick Lacrosse. Cadillac's 44% rise has been driven by a tripling in deliveries of the redesigned SRX.

"There are some hard facts working in [GM's] favor," Libby wrote this week in his earnings report. Indeed. GM is eliminating clunker cars like the Chevy Aveo, which was listed as one of the most dangerous cars of the year on Forbes' annual roundup, and rated by Consumer Reports as one of the least reliable compact vehicles on the road. GM is said to be planning a name-change for the subcompact when its refreshed version hits showrooms next year.

Redesigned and rebranded 2011 models should create positive buzz for American automakers. "The domestics are designing exciting vehicles such as the Malibu or the Taurus or the Enclave," says Eric Ibara, director of residual value consulting for Kelley Blue Book. "They're finally coming up with vehicles customers want to buy."

As early as next year consumers will see significant improvements in several key models from Detroit, Ibara says. In short: Don't splurge on a new car until the new models hit the market. You'll be glad you waited.

Top Seven Clunker Cars To Avoid:

Chevrolet Aveo
Segment: Subcompact sedan
Worst-of lists: Most Dangerous Cars, Consumer Reports Least Reliable Cars, Two Stars or Lower on JD Power Dependability Ratings
MSRP: $11,965

Chevrolet Colorado
Segment: Pickup truck
Worst-of lists: Most Dangerous Trucks, Consumer Reports Least Reliable Cars, Two Stars or Lower on JD Power Dependability Ratings
MSRP: $16,985

Chrysler Sebring Convertible
Segment: Convertible
Worst-of lists: Worst Resale Value, Consumer Reports Least Reliable Cars, Two Stars or Lower on JD Power Dependability Ratings
MSRP: $27,850

Chrysler Sebring Sedan
Segment: Sedan
Worst-of lists: Worst Resale Value, Consumer Reports Least Reliable Cars, Two Stars or Lower on JD Power Dependability Ratings
MSRP: $20,120

GMC Canyon
Segment: Pickup truck
Worst-of lists: Most Dangerous Trucks, Consumer Reports Least Reliable Cars, Two Stars or Lower on JD Power Dependability Ratings
MSRP: $17,045

Jeep Wrangler 2-Door
Segment: SUV
MSRP: $21,165

Jeep Wrangler 4-Door
Segment: SUV
MSRP: $23,410
I don't know about you but is sure doesn't look like "the ET gets trumped in all other categories....extending beyond creaks and rattles" by the Aveo to me. LOL!!!!

Last edited by NovaResource; 11-08-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:51 AM

Killer!

Old 11-07-2010, 08:41 PM

Yes a Killer! I do think you are right. But it's like who does the Reviews on the new cars?
like how can Kia beet out Hyundai whitch did not make the top 10 cars for 2010??
But the Kia soul did, & one more that off hand I don't recall.
not Hyundai of any model!
I not Bashing the ET as much as first! we now have 1100 miles no it & get about 23 all around driving, So,So,
My dealer told us it did??
but when you look them up The Hyundia is ont there, & Honda is on top & toy, Ford,Kia,
I think I needto look at the top 10 again to make sure, :? :/
the duck tape has helped with the creeking at the rear storage top.
& the melted sunglass door Will come in this week,
& this week we have family in from CA, & I got to ride in the back!!
well all I'll say is I hate locking seat belts, with each bump they get tighter!
Just glade I don't have them up front, what I did like was beening out of the sun!
& we had the limo tint on the back windows & that works great,
Just looked again & Hyundai came in 22nd that as the Genesis any way.
& the # 2 Lie from the dealer Hyundai is not in the best resale in kellyblue book.
They have a trophy from kellyblue book that said that it was? But for $35.99 the Trophy shop will make any one you want (World best DAD!)
I'm just that we got a bad lying Dealer !!
regards
Ron

Last edited by Rontier; 11-07-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Rontier
Yes a Killer! I do think you are right. But it's like who does the Reviews on the new cars?
like how can Kia beet out Hyundai whitch did not make the top 10 cars for 2010??
But the Kia soul did, & one more that off hand I don't recall.
not Hyundai of any model!
I not Bashing the ET as much as first! we now have 1100 miles no it & get about 23 all around driving, So,So,
My dealer told us it did??
but when you look them up The Hyundia is ont there, & Honda is on top & toy, Ford,Kia,
I think I needto look at the top 10 again to make sure, :? :/
the duck tape has helped with the creeking at the rear storage top.
& the melted sunglass door Will come in this week,
& this week we have family in from CA, & I got to ride in the back!!
well all I'll say is I hate locking seat belts, with each bump they get tighter!
Just glade I don't have them up front, what I did like was beening out of the sun!
& we had the limo tint on the back windows & that works great,
Just looked again & Hyundai came in 22nd that as the Genesis any way.
& the # 2 Lie from the dealer Hyundai is not in the best resale in kellyblue book.
They have a trophy from kellyblue book that said that it was? But for $35.99 the Trophy shop will make any one you want (World best DAD!)
I'm just that we got a bad lying Dealer !!
regards
Ron
Do people test drive/research their prospective purchases before they make a purchase? I mean residual value, insurance prices, window tinting, road noise, what you perceive as low quality parts; these are things that you could've picked up on with 10 minutes of internet time and a half hour test drive.

Just saying, people come on and criticize the vehicle and talk about selling it after a couple months of ownership when their complaints are all things that could've been sorted out prior to making the purchase. The car's obviously not everyone's cup of tea, but it seems ignorant to make such a big purchase without putting the pre-work in.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by zielritter
Do people test drive/research their prospective purchases before they make a purchase? I mean residual value, insurance prices, window tinting, road noise, what you perceive as low quality parts; these are things that you could've picked up on with 10 minutes of internet time and a half hour test drive.

Just saying, people come on and criticize the vehicle and talk about selling it after a couple months of ownership when their complaints are all things that could've been sorted out prior to making the purchase. The car's obviously not everyone's cup of tea, but it seems ignorant to make such a big purchase without putting the pre-work in.
^^^ +1

Quoted for Truth.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:02 AM

As for the half hour test ride- the things that are a problem are to be fixed at the first check up at 3000 miles ! & yes I've been back for them all, & get the same story (we will fix all the problems when the 3000 mile service is due.
& I do my home work when it comes to buying a product of any thing.
That is why we got the Elantra, I've been looking at it for 3 years, & I have 2 friends that have 2007 Elantras that they like,
I like the ET! Sure there are issues with any car, That is way it is the good old USA!
You can call me ignorant ,thats fine, I'm a grown man & can take the Bull xxx.

As for the clunker list they are on every road all this country & they still have them after many years ??
I have good friends that will only buy chevy's!
ones that will only drive Ford! I've had them all?
As for our famliy , I cought heck for getting a Hyundai! this is my first one & the
old bad ones that had allot of problems are it die, at lest Hyundai is making a better car as years go buy ! So buy the time I'm 60's they should be in the top 10??
& yes 60 is just around the next year.
Regards
Ron

Old 11-09-2010, 06:30 AM

"I don't know about you but is sure doesn't look like "the ET gets trumped in all other categories....extending beyond creaks and rattles" by the Aveo to me. LOL!!!! "

Im glad to see you actually can get amused...you were worrying me. :P

The ET is rated safer. I did forget about that. Overall fleet? Im sure the ET would be better but
my anecdotal evidence/experience is what it is. Sans the other things I mentioned plus the safety, the Aveo has been the better of the two cars I currently have. Nothing more nothing less.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

Let me fix that for you again:
Originally Posted by blh7068
The ET is rated safer. I did forget about that. Overall fleet? Im sure the ET would be better but my anecdotal evidence/experience is what it is. Sans the other things I mentioned plus the safety, the Aveo - in my opinion - has been the better of the two cars I currently have. Nothing more nothing less.
Also, key word: anecdotal

Old 11-09-2010, 07:59 AM

Well, I would say that "his opinion" on which of his two cars is better is all that really matters, and is probably the best measure of which of those two individual cars has fewer problems. Maybe he got a bad ET and a great Aveo, or the ET has hit pot holes just wrong while the Aveo has had better luck. I don't think there is any reason to doubt his opinion of his two cars is inaccurate. The problem comes when a person tries to scale up the comparison to the car models in general.

Quick Reply: creaking and rattling