Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

creaking and rattling

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Sapient
Well, I would say that "his opinion" on which of his two cars is better is all that really matters, and is probably the best measure of which of those two individual cars has fewer problems. Maybe he got a bad ET and a great Aveo, or the ET has hit pot holes just wrong while the Aveo has had better luck. I don't think there is any reason to doubt his opinion of his two cars is inaccurate. The problem comes when a person tries to scale up the comparison to the car models in general.
Pretty much.

However you want to slice it...it comes from the experiences incurred through the ownership of the two vehicles. Ive made nothing up. My experiences are just that- my experiences and not based on what "I think". I have no doubt that a fleet comparison would indicate the ET is a better car. It just hasnt been the case for me and my vehicles.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:31 PM

I can say that the rattles in my 1 year-old ET Sport are far worse than the 2004 Saturn Ion it replaced.

- sunroof that makes loud rattling sounds. Dealer 'greased' the plastic to fix it. Made no difference

- drivers side seat that makes loud squeaking noise that passengers refer to as an 'old rocking chair' when turning, stopping, etc.

- liftgate cup handle (the plastic cup that forms the handle used to close the rear liftgate) has been replaced three times. Simply falls out when closing the hatch.

Dealer has not fixed any of these issues so far. They tried to replace the handle which just keeps falling out, and put some 'grease' on the rattling sunroof piece.

The technician says they will not fix the seat squeaking, since it only happens when the seat is in an 'extreme' position. The 'extreme' position he is talking about is having the driver's seat lowered to the last 2-3 levels. He says I just have to raise the seat 3-4 notches. Problem is, my head touches the roof at that position. Headroom was a reason I bought the car.

Also, two dealerships were not able to correctly align my car. They made improvements, but now I'm just used to it and only notice it after I have driven another vehicle.

No serious problems so far, just some nagging issues that have me worried. I am not done fighting the dealer to fix these.

I have been in many economy cars that rattle and squeak far less than this one.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by chriskwarren
I can say that the rattles in my 1 year-old ET Sport are far worse than the 2004 Saturn Ion it replaced.

- sunroof that makes loud rattling sounds. Dealer 'greased' the plastic to fix it. Made no difference

- drivers side seat that makes loud squeaking noise that passengers refer to as an 'old rocking chair' when turning, stopping, etc.

- liftgate cup handle (the plastic cup that forms the handle used to close the rear liftgate) has been replaced three times. Simply falls out when closing the hatch.

Dealer has not fixed any of these issues so far. They tried to replace the handle which just keeps falling out, and put some 'grease' on the rattling sunroof piece.

The technician says they will not fix the seat squeaking, since it only happens when the seat is in an 'extreme' position. The 'extreme' position he is talking about is having the driver's seat lowered to the last 2-3 levels. He says I just have to raise the seat 3-4 notches. Problem is, my head touches the roof at that position. Headroom was a reason I bought the car.

Also, two dealerships were not able to correctly align my car. They made improvements, but now I'm just used to it and only notice it after I have driven another vehicle.

No serious problems so far, just some nagging issues that have me worried. I am not done fighting the dealer to fix these.

I have been in many economy cars that rattle and squeak far less than this one.
Hi Chris- sounds like both of us are in similar situations. I have a creaking that sounds like you described, but it seems to come from the passenger side- maybe the door panels, or the "b" pillar.

Car will go in today or tomorrow for my creaking issue, the pulling to the right( again) Pulsating/bad harmonic felt/heard in the steering wheel at highway speeds, steering column loose( when unlocked), then its difficult to telescope, and now the audio system failure.

My guess is two of those issues will be resolved. Actually, Im more po'ed at Hyundai than I am at the dealer with how theyve handled the pulling to the right. They keep saying "get the alignment specs checked"

Sigh....

Old 12-15-2010, 12:36 PM

my liftgate handle has also fallen out, twice. once after the dealership tried gluing it back in. they told me it's a defective panel. the parts have been ordered and are in. i'll be heading in for replacement soon.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by LenG58
my liftgate handle has also fallen out, twice. once after the dealership tried gluing it back in. they told me it's a defective panel. the parts have been ordered and are in. i'll be heading in for replacement soon.
You mean the actual plastic panel attached to the door, or the plastic 'cup'? They had ordered a new 'cup' for me and it did nothing.

Thanks for posting. If they are replacing the actual door panel and it works for you, I'll suggest this thread when I go back in the next time.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by chriskwarren
You mean the actual plastic panel attached to the door, or the plastic 'cup'? They had ordered a new 'cup' for me and it did nothing.

Thanks for posting. If they are replacing the actual door panel and it works for you, I'll suggest this thread when I go back in the next time.
yes, they're replacing the rear hatch door panel. i'll let you know if it works.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:42 PM

I have made a couple posts about my 2010 ET SE and all the racket it makes. Despite numerous trips to the shop, it continued to rattle more and MORE and MORE.

It is back at the dealer. I must say that the dealer and Hyundai are taking this very seriously. They are replacing all four springs and the rear shocks. I hope to get it back tomorrow and will let you know what happens.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:48 PM
Default Not having these problems

I've had mine through last summer (easily over 100F inside) and up in the mountains here in Idaho. I have had no problems with power & I've driven up a 6-7% grade in 5th and was able to accelerate (well at least go faster). I do have a manual, so twisting mountain roads mean fun!
The heat caused no car parts to melt or misshape. However some gift cards in the top dash cubby warped.
I do get a groan from the back, but usually only when I turn into a driveway/ramp and I am on two, opposite corner wheels.
I will say; damn the rear hatch handle falling out. Sorry to hear they don't have a re-designed replacement.

Originally Posted by Rontier
We took the sun burnner ET for a 100 mile trip today outside temp 78%
inside temp 89 & Burnning hot on the dash, the top sunglasses holder on longer works.Melted shut??anyway we drove out to the Hillcountry big misstake1
That little 4 cal just had a hard time pulling up the even small hills changing to2nd gear at times & at 45mph was all she would do !! so to both our dismay, this is a city car, So much for a better traveling car!!may Trade it after all : (.
cut our loss as an don't beleve all you read about this (1) !
We could not make out how a good car could get any worse? We massed up by not taking it to the Hills the first day..
The end of a bad day in the ET!!
Ron
%

Old 12-20-2010, 11:25 AM

had a few hot days here the didin the top dash change box ,But the dealer was having a new one installed ,& that has been a month ago & now with the temp in the 40-50f that is not hot, I just got use to the rattles, so far the handles are holding. the other problem was the rear window defroster lines were coming off or
loose from the heat from seating on the lot for a year 2010, got it in the fall of 2010. when we had the tint put on the windows the shop said the tint would hold on the tint & be no problem. So we did not take it back for this one. Just wish the front could get some tint, anyway on to the Mazda 2, my brother just got
5 door & It come with no tinted window in front! the same as the ET! it is just like the Fit we had but it is an 5 speed standard, & they love the small car, it was to small for me with the seat all the way back I didnot drive it ,but looked like a fun car for town!. & the stick shift is in the dash! If you are 5'2 this-
little car with 40 mpg may be a look. But the Reo5 is about the same ?
We have a car that has isues that all cars have, some can be fix some can't.
By the way- All the 6 tale lights work! so hope we are not blinding the guy behind us?
May be that the car came from Korea Manufuctureing plant?

Old 02-02-2011, 08:49 PM
Default Creaking and Rattling Fixed!

After numerous trips to the dealer, the creaking and rattling of my 2010 ET SE has been cured. New springs took care of the front end. Hyundai had ordered new springs and shocks for the rear. After these were installed, I still had an inordinate amount of noise coming from the back end. The dealer told me before I picked it up that they were still trying to figure it out.

It turns out for some reason my car had fewer spot welds in the rear than a couple non-rattling cars on the lot. By reinforcing the existing welds, the problem is solved.

Great car!