Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Iphone mount and Aux Audio options for ET

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 03:02 PM
Default Iphone mount and Aux Audio options for ET

I am very happy with the ET 2010 but my old Iphone mount doesn't work on the new vents so I am shopping. Also my old car didn't have an Aux option which is pretty cool to hear podcasts and tunes from my phone.

I picked up a $3 cable to plug into the Aux. Everything works great but I have a nice mess of cables and have just been putting the phone on top of the mess of cables.

Anyone have some tips on their Iphone set up?

I am looking at these two items which will get rid of having to plug in the Aux cable to the phone AND as a bonus will let me use them to take phone calls, too.

It's portable and can be used outside of the car. Does not work while battery is charging.
http://www.jabra.com/Sites/Jabra/na-...braBT3030.aspx

And

Made for the car and it will also charge the Iphone
http://us.kensington.com/html/14484.html

Once I get rid of the Aux cable, then shopping for a mount should be a little easier. I am going to try a couple of other vent mounts because I would like for it to sit high but not stuck on the windshield or sit on top of the dashboard.

Thanks.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:50 PM
Default Strike 1...no good

I purchased this car kit at Walmart today. The base is just high enough to get in the way of the AC ***** and Hazard buttons. As soon as I open the little access door, the phone goes forward and tilts down just enough to make it annoying.

Volume is also a problem since you have to crank the radio to the max to get it in the 15-18 range (out of 32). Good thing the radio remembers volume settings for the other inputs so you don't blow out your ears when going back to XM/Radio.

I could make it work but going to keep shopping.
TuneFlex AUX SmartClick

Car mount, charger and remote control for iPod and iPhone

Product info:
http://www.griffintechnology.com/pro...ith-smartclick

Product Image:

Old 10-19-2009, 09:01 AM
Default Attempt 2 - Works ok as Ipod

I tried the Hyundai Ipod Cable with the iphone. After a couple of error messages and plugging it a couple of times it sort of works.

It works great as an Ipod because the radio controls the iPod functions including letting you sort by category and view the information on the radio screen. Sound is great and it also charges the phone.

The problem is that this cord is only 12" long which is not practical to set up the phone somewhere in the dashboard area. Actually, since it plugs into the center arm rest, the phone just reaches the cup holder or E Brake area. Checking caller ID or using it as a GPS doesn't work well while driving. When the phone rings, the music does go off but the cord is not long enough to bring the headset up to your ear.

I use an Otterbox case (splash proof) and this cord doesn't work with the case. It would be funny to take it out of the case and then drop the iphone into the drink holder.

More info on this accessory...it works but I think I can do a little better.

This set up requires that I get a different case and also pick up a bluetooth earpiece for privacy while in the car with passengers.

http://www.hyundaiaccessorystore.com...pod_cable.html

Old 10-19-2009, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by williama
The problem is that this cord is only 12" long which is not practical to set up the phone somewhere in the dashboard area. Actually, since it plugs into the center arm rest, the phone just reaches the cup holder or E Brake area.
I just read more of the description on this cable and see why it was designed to be so short. Oh well, I hope they come up with a 4' one or an extension for Iphone users.

"The iPod can be stowed in the console and “forgotten” about until leaving the vehicle. "

(http://www.hyundaiaccessorystore.com...pod_cable.html)

Old 10-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Default Third time is the charm! Good for Iphone and Ipod all no more wires

I posted this item before from Kensignton site but Amazon has it new for $24.99. I couldn't resist at that price and received it yesterday.

Pairing was easy, the Aux cable is long enough to hide on the side of the center console/arm rest and I would like to run it under it so that it is completely hidden.

This plays the Ipod music, Ipod podcast, car speakers work as phone audio and the mic is on the cigarette lighter. Best of all no wires to plug in to the phone because it's all bluetooth. This is much better than my current bluetooth car speaker because it doesn't need to be charged and it automatically turns on/off with the car ignition.

Listening to the iPhone makes the music mute and go into phone mode, when listening to Sat Radio, I just hit the Mode button twice and go into phone mode.

The only draw back so far is minor because I won't be using the remote control. It fell apart when I tried to put in the battery but Kensignton is already sending a new one in the mail.

This set up should work with any phone that has bluetooth.

Now that I am happy with the connection to Aux, it's time to shop for a car mount. I am placing the phone right on top of the Steering wheel mount just before the gauges. There are a couple of notches for the telescoping wheel that hold the phone in place. It's nice to see the caller ID flash when a call comes in.

http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Liq...6050951&sr=8-4