Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Keys in the ignition, engine running, and locked out - how did this happen?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 02:39 AM
Default Keys in the ignition, engine running, and locked out - how did this happen?

Hi everyone, hoping for some advice.
I have an i30 wagon and the other day, I was driving it, then pulled up on my driveway. Kept the engine running, as I shut the door, and ran in side the house to get something. Came out to the car and I was locked out.
Surely, with the car engine running, a safety feature would not allow me to be locked out of my own car?
Lucky I was on my driveway...I jumped the neighbours fence and broke into my house so I could get the spare key to unlock the car.
Any advice?
Cheers,

Old 04-13-2010, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by rosiarch
I have an i30 wagon and the other day, I was driving it, then pulled up on my driveway. Kept the engine running, as I shut the door, and ran in side the house to get something. Came out to the car and I was locked out.
Surely, with the car engine running, a safety feature would not allow me to be locked out of my own car?
Lucky I was on my driveway...I jumped the neighbours fence and broke into my house so I could get the spare key to unlock the car.
Any advice?
Cheers,
Surely I am missing something here, but how is the car supposed to know if you're in it or not? People lock their cars all the time while they are driving or parked and waiting for something/someone. If the car were to some how lock when you exited initially, how would it know whether you're in it or not? Again, let me know if I'm completely missing something.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:14 PM

Any advice?
Happened so often in my life.

Now, I just open the window by default when I get out of the car!

Old 04-13-2010, 08:22 PM

Do not own an i30/touring, but I know what your talking about. Our hyundai sonata does not auto lock with the engine on and exiting. We had a grand am that auto locked only when you put the car in drive. Possibly if you talk to your dealer, it's a safety feature they can deactivate.

Last edited by turtle; 04-13-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by zielritter
Surely I am missing something here, but how is the car supposed to know if you're in it or not? People lock their cars all the time while they are driving or parked and waiting for something/someone. If the car were to some how lock when you exited initially, how would it know whether you're in it or not? Again, let me know if I'm completely missing something.
sorry, I am confused by your answer. "If the car was to some how lock when you exited"......well...that is my question...how can it do that?
The car was locked until I opened the car door. Then it unlocked so I could get out. but then it locked after I shut the door....I didn't lock it. It locked itself.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:46 AM

Any advice?
Cheers,
Oh my god, this happened to me last night, exactly the same. Left my i30 (2008 model, hatch) running in the driveway (in Park), got out of the car and shut the door, went to unlock my rollerdoor and when I came back to the car it wouldnt let me in!!! I had the lights on and the stereo blaring and no way of getting into the car. I had to leave the car running, unlock the house and find the spare key which I used to manually unlock the door. What the hell?? How can this even happen?? Lucky the spare key was in the house and not with my husband who was still at work. Now Im worried it will happen again!!

Old 07-30-2010, 04:44 PM
Default Doors Locked Engine Running - Help

Rosiarch, Zielritter , others. While the following will not help your situation, I can definitely say that the Touring will NOT lock the driver's door with the key in the ignition, engine running or not running when nobody is in the driver's seat. In other words - you can't lock the keys in the car if the key is in the ignition. My 2009 Touring Owners Manual describes this issue on page 48 and page 49.

I tried locking the driver's door with the key in the ignition while standing outside. The door lock automatically unlocked every time. I also tried this on my 2005 Corolla - same result. Perhaps this feature is a U.S. requirement?

Old 08-15-2011, 06:59 PM

Hi guys,
Same thing happened to me just lastnight. I have an i30 SLX, still under warranty.
I stopped the car at the bottom of the driveway so i could put the bins out, went to get back in.... no chance. Car had completely deadlocked itself.
However, my partner is posted about 6hrs away for work, so there was no chance of me getting a hold of his house keys so i could get in and get the spare car key. My house keys, phone, everything, was locked in the car. There was also no chance of me being able to break into the house. I tried, and now i have fat forearms from where i was shoving my arms up into the few inches that one of the windows was open, trying to unwind the mechanism, but the window wouldn't budge. I live on the beach so our locks and things tend to be pretty sticky due to the salt air.
I had no choice but to use my neighbours phone to call the NRMA, wait 60 mins (meanwhile the car is still running) and pay $300 for them to come out and break into the car for me.
Really un-impressed and disappointed.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:50 AM

Hey Krusty, that totally sux
I am glad to say it hasnt happened to me again, but, being paranoid now I have got into the habit of winding my window down before I get out of the car, just incase.
Yes very disappointing, its a shame as I have no other problems with the car.
Good luck, hope it doesnt happen again!!

Old 08-17-2011, 08:42 PM

Haven't had this happen yet....but the XM radio does tend to switch channels by itself once in a while...

Quick Reply: Keys in the ignition, engine running, and locked out - how did this happen?