Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

New 2012 manual Touring - first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 06:03 AM
Default New 2012 manual Touring - first impressions

Just bought 2012 manual touring. Don't even have the car yet but here are my first impressions. Mainly my wife who really liked the car (actually i loved the tucson L but touring was cheaper and dealer was out of tucson L's. Anyways happy wife, happy life. I did find another dealer who had tucson but too late, already signed papers.... anyways..

When i test drove both the manual and atomatic on the hwy there was a bit of vibration that i noticed. Hopefully not on the new car but i will see later. The manual was really fun to drive. It reminded me of my 98 VW Golf. Really no other issues. I learned it is being discontinued which is why we got a good price.

I also learned the Touring is compatible with 2007 and up elantra parts.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:24 PM

welcome aboard and hope you like it. i have a 2012 gls manual and just went over 5000km. love it and fun to drive.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:01 PM
Default Just picked it up

Thanks I believe I will enjoy it. It was nice to drive home in a new car for a change. Last car we bought new was 2002 honda civic. Spent $5000 less on this one.

Odometer reads 58km so far. I will post fuel mileage soon. Dealer said it's hard to sell manual cars because everyone wants automatic. That means manuals stay on the lot longer and so you should be able to get better deals and possibly negotiate a better price if can stand to let it sit in their lot for a couple more days while you negotiate a price.

One thing I noticed was that the indoor door setting light stays on if you don't really give the back door a good push closed.

I want to add indoor and outdoor temperature digital readouts. I saw a good one at home depot so I plan to and pick one up take it apart and fit it into the dash somehow (I'll post pictures when/if I get it done).

Old 07-20-2012, 12:22 PM
Banned

I have a 2012 Hyundai ET with a manual, for the most part, up to 12,296 miles I loved this car. At 12, 296 miles the clutch went out, I figured no problem, it will get fixed. Wrong! Hyundai claims I abused the car severely and that is the only explanation for why the clutch went bad and they will not warranty.

What happened to the best warranty in america?

I can assure you, I know how to drive a manual transmission, been driving one for over 25 years and have never had to replace a clutch in any car. 90% of the time there are 2 young kids in the back seat. It is my first new car ever, at 43. Do the math, Why would I abuse it? They claimed it had to have been redline and clutch dropped repeatedly ( I don't think this car has ever seen higher the 3500 rpms).

Long story short, the BBB is involved and I hope to sell this car soon, very disappointed in Hyundai.

BTW.. clutch for the car is $1600 normally.. although I did get it for a bit less..

Old 07-20-2012, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by billybobzia
I have a 2012 Hyundai ET with a manual, for the most part, up to 12,296 miles I loved this car. At 12, 296 miles the clutch went out, I figured no problem, it will get fixed. Wrong! Hyundai claims I abused the car severely and that is the only explanation for why the clutch went bad and they will not warranty.

What happened to the best warranty in america?
Like I've said before, the clutch is a wear item like the belts, brake pads and linings, filters, wiper blades, bulbs, fuses, etc. The Hyundai warranty is only 1 year/12,000 miles for wear items. You should have done better research. It's clearly stated in your owners manual and on the Hyundai website:
https://www.hyundaiusa.com/assurance...-warranty.aspx

5-YEAR/60,000-MILE NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY
Covers repair or replacement of any component manufactured or originally installed by Hyundai that is defective in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance.
The following components are covered for time and mileage limits indicated:
• Radio and audio systems (i.e., radio, compact disc player, DVD player, navigation system, and Bluetooth®): 3 years/36,000 miles
• Paint: 3 years/36,000 miles
• Battery: 3 years/unlimited miles (100% covered 2 years/unlimited miles; after 2 years and within 3 years, 25% cost of battery and 100% labor cost covered)
• Air conditioner refrigerant charge: 1 year/unlimited miles
• Adjustments: 1 year/12,000 miles
Wear items: 1 year/12,000 miles (e.g., belts, brake pads and linings, clutch linings, filters, wiper blades, bulbs, fuses)

Old 07-20-2012, 01:58 PM

Not good to hear about the clutch wearing out at 12,000 miles. But as NovaResource said it's a wear part. Nice to know about the 1year warranty on those parts though, and the bulb replacements too. If I loose a bulb under 1 year I'll try to remember I should be able to get it free from hyundai. It'll be a couple of years before Canadian Tire stocks the 2012 parts anyways although I think parts are similar to the 2007 and up elantra.

Mine is the Touring GL.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:21 PM

I think manuals are fun to drive, for me that factor will always be there. I have driven manuals for most of my life. In my opinion I like to be busy behind the wheel when I drive the driver becomes more involved. Not that it really matters. Although it's really a matter of preference.

Part of a big reason I started with manuals is they weren't as heavy as automatics and had better fuel mileage however nowadays automatics are close to par.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TouringDude2012
Not good to hear about the clutch wearing out at 12,000 miles. But as NovaResource said it's a wear part. Nice to know about the 1year warranty on those parts though, and the bulb replacements too. If I loose a bulb under 1 year I'll try to remember I should be able to get it free from hyundai. It'll be a couple of years before Canadian Tire stocks the 2012 parts anyways although I think parts are similar to the 2007 and up elantra.

Mine is the Touring GL.
Yes, it is a wear part, but who has heard of a clutch failing at 12,000 miles? the kicker is that its been mostly driven on the highway..

Old 07-21-2012, 12:27 PM

Almost sounds like the clutch wasn't disengaging all the way properly.

I know some people drive with their left foot on the brake in automatics. Hopefully you haven't lent your car out to someone who leaves their left foot on the clutch and didn't say anything about it.

Are you the sole driver of the car? Do you let your wife drive the car? I let my wife test drive my car and she ground the gears already argghhh! from 1st to 2nd. She was being too timid with the shifting and she hasn't driven one in a while. I should have asked her to go to a dealership and test drive some manuals to get her experience back to manuals again ... (hey, that actually sounds like a good idea - idea duly noted). Luckily it wasn't too bad of a grinding and it didn't happen again.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TouringDude2012
Almost sounds like the clutch wasn't disengaging all the way properly.

I know some people drive with their left foot on the brake in automatics. Hopefully you haven't lent your car out to someone who leaves their left foot on the clutch and didn't say anything about it.

Are you the sole driver of the car? Do you let your wife drive the car? I let my wife test drive my car and she ground the gears already argghhh! from 1st to 2nd. She was being too timid with the shifting and she hasn't driven one in a while. I should have asked her to go to a dealership and test drive some manuals to get her experience back to manuals again ... (hey, that actually sounds like a good idea - idea duly noted). Luckily it wasn't too bad of a grinding and it didn't happen again.
For the most part I am the only driver of the car ( I think it has maybe 20 miles on it from other people, wife, who drives it well and my mother drove it 3 miles) and like I said, I know how to drive a manual just fine, been driving one for 25 years.

It showed no signs of slipping, just went out, I had driven it up to Winter Park (from Denver, so mountain driving just a couple days before and it drove great). Unfortunately, my mom was driving it when it went out and she has been driving a manual for 50 years, literally. I asked if someone could burn out a clutch in the 3 miles she drove it and they said no (not that I doubted my mother, but felt like I should ask).

I know there has to be some other explanation as the car has been babied, but Hyundai seems unable to believe that and just says its my fault. I feel like maybe its like you said, it wasn't engaging properly or something, but I don't know I am not a mechanic. The only things I know for sure is that the car was not abused and a clutch should not go out at 12, 296 miles...

Quick Reply: New 2012 manual Touring - first impressions