Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Question on USB connection

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 09:31 PM
Default Question on USB connection

At the risk of asking a dumb question ...

There's a USB port on the upper right corner of my radio/CD unit.

It looks like it accepts the same type of connector that goes to your typical USB device like a digital camera. (In the pic below, that would be the connector on the left)

http://www.meditronik.com.pl/doc/min...foto=canon.jpg

The typical USB cable I am familiar with is the one in the picture. It has a smaller connector as shown on the left, which goes into your camera or other device (in my case, a little USB MP3 player). The other end (shown on the right hand side) typically goes to a computer.

My question is - is there a standard cable I can buy that goes from my USB MP3 player to the USB connector in the car? It would be a cable with that smaller connector on BOTH ends, it seems.

Thanks

Rob

Old 11-01-2009, 10:01 PM

It is called Mini-B. Unfortinuately the cheapest I can find it is $14 USD.
http://www.datapro.net/products/usb-...m-m-cable.html

Old 11-02-2009, 08:29 AM

Thanks schmitty. That looks like the right beast.

Meanwhile, it sort of 'clicked' for me just after I had posted my question ... I can connect (and HAVE connected) the same MP3 player using an Auxiliary cable (the round one). There's a port there for that.

So then I asked myself - why the need for that USB (Mini-B) port ANYWAY? ...

And then I thought ... MAYBE, the USB connector actually does a 'trickle recharge' on your USB device. Maybe that's the advantage of the USB over the simple Aux connection. I know it does that when I plug it into my computer. In fact, it's the ONLY way to recharge the unit.

If so, that would be pretty cool.

If I figure this out before I get a more definitive answer here, I'll post the answer to my own question(s).

Old 11-02-2009, 08:39 AM

I'm almost certain now that I'm correct - the USB cable also recharges. The cables do not seem to be terribly easy to find, and they're relatively expensive. But I think that's because it's more than a simple data cable - it also carries power.

Meanwhile, you can get a 'converter' more cheaply:

http://www.tca-inc.net/usbmatousbbf.html

Plug that into your car USB port, and then you can plug your common USB device cable (the one you probably got with your USB MP3 player, etc) into that.

I guess it wasn't such a dumb question

Last edited by rcashin; 11-02-2009 at 08:52 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:13 PM

The USB on your computer will also recharge typically (the USB spec includes power). Ie. my cell phone and MP3 player both recharge via USB.

As for the USB connection in the car; I was reading in the 2010 Touring manual (just picked mine up too on Wednesday) that you should not start the car with a USB device plugged in. Are you able to confirm this as well?

Old 11-02-2009, 10:54 PM

Hey Chris ... yep, it seems clear to me now about that USB port.

As for not starting the car with the USB plugged in ... I think the only way to confirm that would be to try it, causing your USB device to blow up. Destructive testing I am going to take their word for it. I am guessing that it poses a risk to the device, but may not necessarily have an effect. I am sure I will forget one day and start up with the device inserted. If I do, it's no great loss - just a cheap little 1Gb MP3 player that I won on tickets somewhere are part of a big basket of stuff.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:04 PM

Ok - I picked up a USB A to mini-B cable (same as what connects your camera to your PC). I also got a USB A 'gender bender'. Using this, I connect my MP3 player to an A-B cable, then to an A-A 'gender-bender', and from there to another A-miniB, with the MiniB end in to the car. Works like a charm. Total for both items, about $20 (Cdn)

I also tried plugging a plain old USB flash drive into the gender-bender, then to the A-B cable. Worked perfectly! (as an MP3 player) ... Which is mighty cool!

I also tested (not deliberately) turning the car both on and off while the MP3 player was plugged in. No problem. No explosion, no sparks, no fizzles, no malfunctions. I suspect it's a wise precaution to disconnect any USB device before starting/stopping the vehicle - probably some kind of power surge issue.

Last edited by rcashin; 11-08-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:22 PM

Most electronic devices they tell you to unplug when the car is off. Ive always assumed it was so the battery doesnt get drained. Good to see the Touring will pick up any type of usb.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:15 PM

I've been trying to find an usb connection on the top right corner of my stereo...either I am going nuts or the 2009 ET's only have their connectors inside the arm rest.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by kman
I've been trying to find an usb connection on the top right corner of my stereo...either I am going nuts or the 2009 ET's only have their connectors inside the arm rest.
I think Canadian and European Hyundais are using Kenwood based stereo systems with the USB jack in the face of the unit (the thread was started by a member in St.Johns). Your U.S. car has an Infinity system with the USB/Audio jack combo in the center console. The Infinity unit is suppose to provide better support for the Apple Ipod, but I don't know if that is true or not.

Quick Reply: Question on USB connection