Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Speedometer Error

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 04:17 AM
Default Speedometer Error

Hello fellow ET owners, I have a 16" wheel ET with a manual transmission. I drive a lot and I've noticed that when approaching the radar screen things on the side of the road that my Speedometer is actually 2-3 mph slower than is being indicated. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

Also could the speedometer's error be wreaking havoc with my odometer? Lastly, do you think the speedometer is calibrated for the 17" wheel option? Any and all opinions will be useful.

Thank you.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

2-3 mph off at 60 mph is about normal for most cars. Unless you have a police certified speedometer, no car is perfect. And the 16" wheels and 17" wheels don't matter. The tire size for both have the same diameter.

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-08-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:34 PM

Thanks for your prompt response Nova. You're the man!

Do you suppose there may be an odometer error when it comes to the speedo error? That last thing I want is for my car to have more miles than I've actually done.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, the 2 are linked so the odometer is slightly off as well. However, since the speedo is 2-3 mph slow, the odometer will actually have fewer miles, not more.

There's no TSB about the Touring speedo that I'm aware of but there is one for the Elantra sedan. The HD had a slightly incorrect speedo and Hyundai has a TSB about it so maybe you should talk to your dealer about your speedo being off and see if there is a TSB to fix the Touring as well.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:27 AM

I got my 7500 mile service done today. It was longer than I expected but I did bring up the speedo error with them as well as the headlight adjustment --- I've found that I only have about 30 feet of visibility. Apparently that is at the legal setting but they suggested a brighter bulb could be fitted to help with the visibility issue.

Getting back to the speedo error, the service technician came up with the conclusion that there is a five percent error with the speedo reading a higher speed that the vehicle is actually going at. There is no TSB at the moment - but with my comment and perhaps others soon, Hyundai will likely extend the warranty and/or fix the speedo and/or readjust the odometer.

Cross your fingers and take your ET's in. (Only if you are actually having the issue)

Old 09-11-2009, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
Yes, the 2 are linked so the odometer is slightly off as well. However, since the speedo is 2-3 mph slow, the odometer will actually have fewer miles, not more.

There's no TSB about the Touring speedo that I'm aware of but there is one for the Elantra sedan. The HD had a slightly incorrect speedo and Hyundai has a TSB about it so maybe you should talk to your dealer about your speedo being off and see if there is a TSB to fix the Touring as well.
The error is the opposite...there are more miles on the odo than there should be.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

If the speedo is slow then the odometer will be less than actual. Think about it. If the odometer is showing 60-mph and you are actually traveling 63-mph than in one hour the odometer will have 60 miles added when in actuality you added 63 miles.

Are you sure it's opposite? If it is, then I'd have the dealer check it.

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-11-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:31 PM

Yes I am sure it is the opposite. The speedo is showing 60 while the actual speed is 57-58. I had the dealer check it and they apparently checked the speed sensor and realized that it is indeed the case. The error is a 5% discrepancy.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

5% is too much. That needs to be corrected.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
5% is too much. That needs to be corrected.
I agree. When I spoke with the service representative about it, he thanked me for my input and claims to have established a log in the Hyundai system. However, in order to expedite the fix for this problem, do you have a number I can call up Hyundai about this issue?

Also, perhaps other owners can address this issue with their service representatives so that none of us get shafted in the case of wanting to resell the car at a later date?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Speedometer Error