Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 04:34 PM
Unhappy Sensor Issue

We had the snow tires put on today at our dealer and the sensors that we received from TireRack are not recognized by the computer. The service department tried to get them to work for over 2 hours. I suspect they may be the ones for a regular Elantra. I spoke with customer service at TireRack and they are attempting to figure out why they won't work. As it was just after 5:00 PM their technical folks had gone home so it will be tomorrow before I know more. The sensors I received are Lear 315MHZ (LOW), TireRack Part number S091 52933-2G200. I'll post more as I receive an update.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Like I said above, I wouldn't use sensors for the winter tires. Here's why. The computer in the car can only be programmed to "remember" 4 sensors at a time. That means, every time you switch from regular tires to winter tires, you have to pay the dealer to reprogram the computer. I have no problem looking at the TPMS error light for the 2-3 months that I will be using the winter tires and I don't have to go to the dealer and pay them to reprogram the computer twice a year. I never installed TPMS sensors in my winter tire wheels. I just used standard valves.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:04 PM

I don't understand why one just doesn't put the snow tires on the same rims that are on the car. I did...cost me 7.50 a wheel to have my all season replaced with the snow tires that I had left over from my HHR. Why are people spending a thousand dollars for different rims and tires.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know where you live but around here, it costs anywhere from $15 to $20 per wheel to dismount, mount and balance tires on the same rim. Sorry, but I'm not spending $60 to $80 twice a year to swap tires on the same rims. But even at $7.50 per wheel, that's still $30 twice a year to swap tires.

Plus, it's not good for the tires to me mounted and dismounted multiple times. It's easier to just have 2 sets of wheels for swapping snow tires and regular tires.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:55 PM

Never had problems before switching tires. Not spending 1000 bucks for convenience. 60 bucks a year is pretty cheap but I understand the cost for 20 a wheel especially if you keep cars for a long time. I would go in search of better year round tires before I spent a thousand on new wheels and tires but then I don't drive as much nor need to in snow because I am retired and they are basically insurance in case I get caught in a freak snow storm. To each his own I guess. Also I never own a car for more than 3 or 4 years but maybe the ET will be an exception since I am getting older.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

First, I didn't spend $1,000. I spent $400 for the tires (mounted and balanced). The 16" rims were technically free because I already had them (they were the original wheels on the car).

When I purchased my Tucson (used), the tires needed to be replaced. I wanted different/larger wheels on it so I paid about $240 for the 18" wheels from eBay. The money spent on the 18" tires doesn't count because the 16" tires were worn out and I needed to buy new tires anyway. What I paid for the 18" regular tires is about what I would have paid for the 16" regular tires.

So basically I spent $240 to have an extra set of wheels for the snow tires. Add that to the $400 for the winter tires and I only spent $640 total for winter tires. Again, not $1,000.

At $20/wheel, twice a year, to change tires, that's $160/year. $640/160 = 4. That means I break even in 4 years. At $15/ wheel, I break even 5 years. Still worth it not to have to go to a shop to change my tires over. I can do the job in about 20 minutes without ever having to break down a tire. And best of all, my nice, 18" aluminum wheels are never subjected to winter weather and rock salt.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Default Sensor Issue Update

I did find out that the Touring and regular Elantra sensors are the same, so that theory was wrong. However, I heard back from TireRack yesterday. They indeed mounted the wrong sensors. In fac,t they sent out the wrong sensors on every Elantra package that has gone out this season, and are contacting everyone so they can correct the problem. They will be sending new sensors and covering the installation costs. Great customer service.

NovaResource, I agree with you about the sensors, but my wife is the one driving the Touring and she said she wasn't driving around with a warning light staring at her all the time (although she is for a few more days) and there was no way she was going to put tape on her new car to hide the light!

Old 11-20-2009, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jaybo
In fact they sent out the wrong sensors on every Elantra package that has gone out this season, and are contacting everyone so they can correct the problem. They will be sending new sensors and covering the installation costs. Great customer service.
Yeah, TireRack is awesome.

Originally Posted by jaybo
NovaResource, I agree with you about the sensors, but my wife is the one driving the Touring and she said she wasn't driving around with a warning light staring at her all the time (although she is for a few more days) and there was no way she was going to put tape on her new car to hide the light!
And I can totally understand that. My wife would be the same way.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

I just installed the 16" wheels and snow tires today. It's a little early in the season but the weather was nice day (cool but sunny). Most places say snow tires should be used once the high temp for the day stays below 50-deg F. It allowed me to wash the 18" wheels and summer tires before putting them away for the season.

Here are some pics showing the difference between the 18" Veracruz wheels and the stock 16" wheels. Drastic difference, don't you think?

I can't wait to but the 18" wheels back on but at least they'll be protected from the snow and road salt. I just have to deal with the TPMS light on.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:44 PM
dwt

Question: I just bought a 2010 Elantra Touring SE, which comes stock with 17" wheels.

When shopping for a winter wheel/tire set, is there any recommendation as to what size would be best in terms of performance and cost, 15, 16 or 17?

TIA.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires