Hyundai Entourage This minivan boasts of being one of the safest vehicles in its class.

entourage brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 06:56 PM
Default entourage brakes

Hi.
I just registered and had no luck with the search function, so heres my questions.
07 entourage limited. I am about to change the front rotors and pads and notice the hyundai manual shows a special tool to press the pistons in. Is this needed, or can they be pushed in like other calipers(pliers etc)?

I see the rotors are held on to the hub with countersunk phillip screws. Are these locktighted and need heat to release?

Thanks
Ron

Old 12-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

1. Only the rear calipers need a special tool to press the pistons back in (by rotating them). The front can be pressed in with a regulat c-clamp.

2. The screws holding the rotors on are not installed with locktight but can be a pan to get off without an impact screwdriver. If you don't have one, just drill out the screw head. The screws are not needed.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
1. Only the rear calipers need a special tool to press the pistons back in (by rotating them). The front can be pressed in with a regulat c-clamp.
Front and rear on the Entourage / Sedona push straight in,, Elantra/Tiburon have the screw in pistons.

2. The screws holding the rotors on are not installed with locktight but can be a pan to get off without an impact screwdriver. If you don't have one, just drill out the screw head. The screws are not needed.
Impact driver, or #3 Phillips driver, I rap the handle with hammer couple time, then usually they come right out... if not, drill head off, or die grinder bit works too
Pretty easy to do brakes on.. you'll have a few select words when it come to removing rear calipers and mounting brackets..

Old 12-15-2010, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sbr711
Front and rear on the Entourage / Sedona push straight in,, Elantra/Tiburon have the screw in pistons.
Ooops! My mistake. I was thinking about my Tiburon.

My Tucson and Kia Sedona (Entourage twin) do not need the special tool.

From what I've come to find, only rear calipers that act as the parking brake require that tool. Rear disc brakes that use a mini drum parking brake inside the hat of the rotor do not require that tool.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:57 AM

Thanks, guys. I am going to tackle the job soon.

Ron