Hyundai Genesis Sedan 2008-Present European styling and luxury combined with a high performance V8 makes the Genesis a serious contender.

Genesis information system freeze

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 07:42 AM
Question Genesis information system freeze

About a month ago I started having problems with the information system freezing after I used the voice commands. When I pushed the voice command I would get a reply to wait a minute. After I made a command the system would sometimes do as asked sometimes something else and the radio, CD, USB and other commands would be inoperable for a period of time or until I rebooted the system by turning the car off and then restarting. I took the car in and of course it did not act up for the mechanic.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Old 03-30-2011, 06:34 PM

Nope. Never happened to my Genny 4.6.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:09 PM
Default Console Freezes

Originally Posted by jthorntss
About a month ago I started having problems with the information system freezing after I used the voice commands. When I pushed the voice command I would get a reply to wait a minute. After I made a command the system would sometimes do as asked sometimes something else and the radio, CD, USB and other commands would be inoperable for a period of time or until I rebooted the system by turning the car off and then restarting. I took the car in and of course it did not act up for the mechanic.

This has happened about 30 times randomly. Turning the ignition off and on may or may not "reboot" the system. Usually freezes with "Genesis" across screen, and sometimes with the audio setting screen. Took it in to Hyundai service and they could not duplicate it nor have they ever heard of it.

Also, GPS works so poorly that I don't use with incorrect directions, etc.

Also, air sensor does not work correctly when a/c is not on. They could not duplicate any of this so I will shoe it to the service manager when system freezes again.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:54 PM
Angry

I have had a similar problem with my 2011 Genesis since I bought it - 9 months ago. Navigation screen intermittently freezes. Dealer has replaced the navigation unit 3 times and updated software once. The last unit the dealer tried to replace was DOA (dead on arrival). I have not heard from Hyundai corporate in over 4 weeks.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:43 AM
Default replacement finally

The system freeze problem occurred about once a week for no particular reason. They finally replaced the Nav. system after I showed them the freeze. It was replaced 3 weeks ago and so far, so good.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:05 AM
Unhappy 2011 Genesis Navigation System Freezes

I have been experiencing this same problem with the navigation system freezing up for over a year. The first time I took it in I was told that they needed to actually see what was happening. So of course when I took it in, the problem did not occur. Since that time, it freezes up about once every 10 times that I start up the vehicle. Sometimes it resets when I turn the car off then on again (sometimes after serveral tries) and sometimes it doesn't. Who has time to deal with this? When you get in your car you just want to drive it. This is really aggravating because the navigation system won't work, your phone won't work, and the rear camera won't work if it the system freezes. This is one of the features I liked on the car, but if it does not work what is the point. I dropped the car off this morning to have it looked at so hopefully I get some results.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:26 PM
Default Navigation screen freeze

Last year I had the same exact problem with my 2011 Genesis. To get a resolution to the problem do the following. 1) Document the screen freeze using your camera/cell phone - make note of the date and time each time that it happens. The more pictures/documentation that you can obtain the better your case. 2) If possible take your car to the dealer when the screen is still frozen. 3) Notify Hyundai Customer Care by phone - and ask to speak with the regional manager. 4) Send pictures and appropriate documentation by certified mail to the CEO of Hyundai USA. 5) Review the "Lemon Law" for your state. 6) As a last resort seek a legal remedy. To solve my problem I followed steps #1-5 listed above and my problem was solved permanently.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:57 PM

I just picked up my 2012 Genesis last week and discovered the Navigation system freezing up intermittently. I called the dealer Hardin Hyundai in Anaheim and they asked me to bring the car in to service which I did on Saturday. The service advisor checked it (it had started working again just before I took it to the dealer, naturally) and said it needed a new unit and that he would order it and have it in by today. He called me today to say it was in and I am taking the car in tomorrow to have it replaced. So far so good. I will post an update on how it goes. They did not seem surprised so I think they know they have a problem with these units.

Does anyone know if they are putting in the 2013 guts to solve the problem as I seem to read that the 2013 head was changed due to the problems they were having?

Last edited by john_griffith; 11-28-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:24 PM

I had a problem w/ the Nav screen in my 2011 Genesis and the only way that I was able to convince Hyundai that it existed was to document every time the problem occurred. I had a small point and shoot camera and I videotaped (with audio) the problem every time that it happened. In California we have a Lemon Law and after 4 documented attempts to repair the problem you can get your $ back - I did.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by john_griffith
I just picked up my 2012 Genesis last week and discovered the Navigation system freezing up intermittently. I called the dealer Hardin Hyundai in Anaheim and they asked me to bring the car in to service which I did on Saturday. The service advisor checked it (it had started working again just before I took it to the dealer, naturally) and said it needed a new unit and that he would order it and have it in by today. He called me today to say it was in and I am taking the car in tomorrow to have it replaced. So far so good. I will post an update on how it goes. They did not seem surprised so I think they know they have a problem with these units.

Does anyone know if they are putting in the 2013 guts to solve the problem as I seem to read that the 2013 head was changed due to the problems they were having?
John,

I had a problem w/ the Nav screen in my 2011 Genesis and the only way that I was able to convince Hyundai that it existed was to document every time the problem occurred. I had a small point and shoot camera and I videotaped (with audio) the problem every time that it happened. In California we have a Lemon Law and after 4 documented attempts to repair the problem you can get your $ back - I did.

Last edited by NovaResource; 12-01-2012 at 10:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Genesis information system freeze