Hyundai Getz Offering a sportier look than the Atos, the Getz preserves the economy of the sub compact market in both the 2 and 4 door models.

Car has issues when starting at times

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 05:52 AM
Default Car has issues when starting at times

Hello

I brought a 2003 Getz last year (Nov). Ever since I brought the car at times it would start immediately when you switch the car off and at times it won't. We did a battery check and replaced the main and ignition relay but it's still doing it. The car's immobilizer system has been removed. The dealer where we brought the car from did contact the owner of the car and she says the car didn't do it with her. When we brought the car the engine was steamed cleaned so that the plugs was under water and we could hardly take the car for a test drive. Please if anyone can help me it would be great. Our mechanic isn't much help and I don't really want to take the car to a dealer as I don't have cash.

Thanks for the help.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:55 PM

Sounds like the steam cleaning did a number on your car's electrical system.
Is it a hard failure? Will it not start all the time?
If it is intermittent then it will be hard to figure out
If you can get the engine to run then let it run til it get hot and gets a chance to dry out

The last thing one can do is back to basics ... when it fails to start
Check for spark, listen for the fuel pump to turn on when the key is turned to the on position,
check for injector pulse, check fuel rail for pressure
(maybe even throw a bottle of fuel cleaner in the gas tank)

Old 01-13-2016, 12:20 AM

Hi.

The engine was cleaned last year so I'm sure it is dry by now. The fuel pump works as you hear it switches on when you start the car.

I don't think it is mechanical as it will start after the car stood a while then most of the times after you have driven either a short distance of a long distance when you switch the car off it wont' start when you start it. You hear a loud click then nothing. Then either after about a couple of seconds or minutes the car starts again no problem. If you push start the car it also starts no problem. They removed the mobilizer not sure it that might be the cause. Most of the times when you drive with the aircon on it does it as well, but lately it is happening almost every time. In the mornings when I drive to work, when I get to work I switch the car off and then if I want to start it again it clicks and then nothing.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:47 PM

That loud click and then nothing sounds like a bad ground
Check all the grounding straps that go to the engine block by taking the bolts or nuts off and cleaning the area with a wire brush
Then put it back together.
Also check the terminals on the battery and cables for corrosion

The other thing it could be is the starter relay.
Since trying to start the engine only gets a click and nothing (no cranking)
This can be tested. Check out youtube videos on how to check a starter relay

Push starting the vehicle by passes the starter system which cranks the engine
I have also read where push starting a car will also by pass the cam sensor for starting .. not sure

Old 01-14-2016, 12:04 AM

Thank for the advise. I will check the everything this weekend. The battery has been tested, and there is no corrosion on it, one thing I have noticed is there is a "clamp"over the positive that gets tighten with a bolt on top. When we first looked at the battery that was a bit loose and we tightened it but it looks like its a bit worn out. Will look at that again.