Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

02 Santa Fe won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Default 02 Santa Fe won't start

Hi, I have 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe with V6 2.7 L, automatic transmission and about 125 000 miles on it. The car crank's but doesn't wont start. I can smell the gas. If i remove the spark plug is wet and smell gas. I check for spark and is OK. Nice blue spark. I put in the car new spark plugs, spark plugs wire, ignition coil pack, MAF sensor and crankshaft position sensor. And nothing. Any idea PLEASE!

Old 02-03-2009, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by inspi
Hi, I have 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe with V6 2.7 L, automatic transmission and about 125 000 miles on it. The car crank's but doesn't wont start. I can smell the gas. If i remove the spark plug is wet and smell gas. I check for spark and is OK. Nice blue spark. I put in the car new spark plugs, spark plugs wire, ignition coil pack, MAF sensor and crankshaft position sensor. And nothing. Any idea PLEASE!
If you have spark and fuel, then it is a timing issue. I would check compression on all six cylinders. Standard compression for the engine is 170 psi with a lower limit of 149 psi. No more than a 14 psi spread between cylinders. How long since the timing belt was replaced?

Old 02-03-2009, 07:23 PM
Banned

You shouldn't go changing all the sensors like that unless you get some error codes. Did you do an error code scan? If there is no error codes, then it points to fuel pressure issue. Do a fuel pressure check, or even just change your fuel filter to start. It's likely to have fuel to the spark plugs, but not enough pressure to "atomize" the fuel so it ignites.

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-20-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:23 AM

I already check the compression. All cylinder around 174 +- 1%. I will check the fuel presure soon, but i need SST. and also take a look on the timing belt. Thanks guys

Old 02-05-2009, 05:32 AM
Banned

If you have good compression, then probably the timing belt is ok. If you have 125K on the engine, then it's time to change the timing belt as the recommended service interval on that is 60K.

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-20-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:19 PM

Fuel pressure is correct, fuel filter looks clean. I thinking about computer?!?!?!

Old 02-12-2009, 08:42 PM

Did it stall while driving or fail to start cold? Around here it's common for a rat to chew on your wires during the night and that causes some interesting issues in the morning. You might want to take a look underneath.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:13 PM
Banned

Did you do a trouble code scan? You need to stop playing around. Find out if you have any trouble codes.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:20 AM

Not everything will throw a code. If you don't get a hard fail code, it sounds like it could be getting too much fuel. It could still be flooded from failure of one of those parts you replaced. Did you try cranking for 15 seconds with the pedal to the floor? That should force the injectors to minimum pulse width and clear the chambers of excess fuel. Next I would try cranking it without the fuel pump relay installed.

If you have compression then mechanical timing should not be an issue. You have spark, and fuel. Another thing I thought of; I assume the 2002 had a mechanical throuttle so you should be getting air unless the ICV is stuck closed. Holding the throttle down slightly would allow it to start if that were the problem.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:09 AM

I did'n have any code, because battery died and memory was cleared. Now i got the scan tool and in datastream i have STFT 99% at time, when i try to start the car. Still smell the gas and spark is there. If i tried start with full open throttle, engine start for half second and immediately die. And nothing else. I put back all the sensor(except spark plugs and spark plugs wires)????!!!! Thanks for any reply

Quick Reply: 02 Santa Fe won't start