Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

07 sante fe 2.7L AWD MPG

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 08:37 PM
Default 07 sante fe 2.7L AWD MPG

I just bought my 2007 Sante fe with 23,000 miles on it. I have to say I love it so far and hope the warrenty is as good as they say.

The one thing I dont like about it is that it is rated for 17 - 23 MPG...but it is saying I am only getting 13.9. I havnt refueled yet but I suspect it is close.

Should I expect this kind of MPG all of the time? It is worse than the 2000 blazer I got rid of.

It is very cold and there has been alot of snow.....maybe this cold contributes to the poor mpg.

I read on another forum that the compressor always cycles...even is the heat is on...could this be part of the problem?

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I dont expect the high but it would at least be nice to get the minimum of 17 mpg.

Thanks!

Old 01-14-2009, 08:54 PM
Banned
Default RE: 07 sante fe 2.7L AWD MPG

Looks like it's all about the compressor cycling and the cold weather. Read this post:

https://www.hyundaiforum.com/m_2743/tm.htm

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-20-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:23 PM

It should get the 17 - 23 going by the new rules for mpg.

Check this site out

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calcu...1&id=23005

It looks to me like it may be a cold weather problem.

Would still like to hear other ideas.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: sayloc

I just bought my 2007 Sante fe with 23,000 miles on it. I have to say I love it so far and hope the warrenty is as good as they say.

The one thing I dont like about it is that it is rated for 17 - 23 MPG...but it is saying I am only getting 13.9. I havnt refueled yet but I suspect it is close.

Should I expect this kind of MPG all of the time? It is worse than the 2000 blazer I got rid of.

It is very cold and there has been alot of snow.....maybe this cold contributes to the poor mpg.

I read on another forum that the compressor always cycles...even is the heat is on...could this be part of the problem?

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I dont expect the high but it would at least be nice to get the minimum of 17 mpg.

Thanks!
When you say "it is saying I am only getting 13.9" are you referring to the computer indicator of fuel mileage? If so, don't go by that. It is an average of the fuel economy since it was last reset. What you need to do is this. Fill the tank all the way, reset the fuel economy computer and reset a trip odometer to zero. Then driver normally until the tank is about 1/4 full. Fill the tank again and calculate the actual mileage (miles on the trip odometer/gallons filled). Then check the computer to see what it estimated the fuel economy to be. They should be close. Then reset the trip odometer and the fuel economy computer. That is the only way to get an accurate fuel economy number.

The cold weather doesn't help especially because the car idles longer when warming up and when cleaning the snow/ice off the car. The compressor cycling all the time can lower fuel economy but not greatly. The only reason the compressor is cycling with the heat is if you have the windshield defroster on. Turn the defrost mode off and the compressor should stop running.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:33 PM

Thanks for the info!

How do you reset the fuel economy computer?

I hope that is the problem. I could see a little worse mpg....but three mpg less than the low is a bit frieghtening.

I REALLY like the sante fe....if I can get the fuel issue worked out I would have to say I am 100% happy with it. Seems like they did a great job with it. It looks small but has an unbelieveable amount of room in it...rides great....nice vehicle.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

I don't own a SF butHyundai tripcomputers usually work 1 of 2 ways.

On my Tiburon and Tucson the computer was in the dash as part of the odometer. You press the button on the dash to flip through the differentmodes (Trip odometer, MPG, Miles To Empty, Outside Temp, etc.) Basically what you do is press the button until the MPG is displayed and then press and hold the button until it resets.

On my wifes Sedona (Hyundai Entourage clone) the computer is in the overhead console. You reset that one by pressing the MODE button until the MPG is displayed and then press the RESET button to clear it.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:06 PM

Have had it two weeks...made a longer road trip through a few small towns with average temps of 15 degrees. Averaged 18.4 mpg by the end of the trip.

So, it may work out ok.