Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

2002 Santa Fe Slow to Accelerate, Stalls after Sitting

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 02:01 PM
Default 2002 Santa Fe Slow to Accelerate, Stalls after Sitting

Hello,

1st time poster as the Santa Fe has been good to me and still is. 2002 with 120K. When the below issue occurs I do not get an engine lights or warnings.

When it sits in the driveway for more than 5 days (Don't know the actual time that cause it but 5 seems to be the avg) it doesn't want to go. It has happened the last 3 times it has sit and with the holidays it will sit again.

I called the dealer and they said to bring it in and it can sit and they can try to recreate the issue, but I get the feeling this may not happen for them. Murphy's law and all.

The car starts fine on the initial start. It has stalled backing out of the drive way on one occasion and on another occasion it stalled at a red light. The next start up after the stall i really had to give it gas (Never normally ever have to). Then when I accelerate it goes 5-10 MPH, the people behind me love that!! RPM go higher than normal before shifting.I really have to give it gas to keep it going. It takes about 1/2 mile to get to 30MPH. I drive it about 10-15 miles to my destination. The last time after the 15 mile drive it sat for 4 hours I went back out and it started and ran fine, no issue, and do not have an issue unless it sits.

I've 'googled' many things and get everything from fuel filter, O2 sensor, plugs, wires, fuel pump, etc. I hate to take it to the dealer and have them explore the problem and I pay and pay and pay. Plus I won't know if what they do fixes the issue until the car sits again which may not be for a while and if it happens again I pay again.

Just looking for an ideas on how I should handle this or if anyone knows what the issue may or could be.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:41 AM
Default Sluggish Performance

Wings,

Welcome to the forum. It would be a good thing if you tell us
what your engine size is: 4 or 6 cylinder (2.4L or 2.7L) as this will
allow for some focus. If you have had some recent repairs, list them
with a little history too. Perhaps the most value added information you
might provide is a listing of codes that the Onboard computer has stored
as a result of what is going on in the car. Many times you will not get
a Check Engine Light or Multi Function Indicator, what ever you may
want to call the dash light telling you to service your engine soon. Not
all errors light the light.

If I was to shoot from the hip, I would recommend you verify that the
car has the correct fuel pressure at the rail. Once you validate that issue
you can start looking into the various sensors that feed the computer
inputs. Given the year of the vehicle the fuel pump or pressure regulator
might be weak or tired and need attention. Just a place to start your
troubleshooting. Again welcome and best of luck.

Depending on where you live, a local automotive part supplier will most
likely be happy to "Scan" your vehicle computer for free and the codes
will guide you to an area to repair. Call around and see who will do it for
you. Come back with the codes and I am sure you will get more help than
you ever dreamed of.

Best Regards,
Paul

Old 11-21-2014, 04:18 PM
Default Sluggish Performance

Paul,

Thank you for your reply. It is a V6 2.7. My latest service work
118173 10/1/2014 Oil

117765 9/27/2014 Rotate Tires

115539 7/10/2014 Midas Front Brakes Pads and Rotors Axle Shaft 111412 12/27/2013 Oil Coolant
110952 12/14/2013 Discount Tires

107323 8/1/2013 Alternator Timing Belt

I called PepBoys and without the light on they would charge $89.99 for a "Drivability" issue. I'll keep checking to see if I can get a scan somewhere.

I was thinking fuel related as well because when it runs the fuel can stay where it is supposed and sitting for a while it drains out (I really have no idea as I don't know cars well) I've also never changed my fuel filter but I ruked that out because if that was an issue then it should happen more often.

Again thanks for your reply and I'll keep searching for someone to read the codes.

FYI I normally change the oil every 3K-4K miles or 6 months but I kept putting the last oil change off.

My issue began in July of this year and has happened 2 other times and I think it will again after T-Giving.

Thx,

Chris

Old 11-21-2014, 06:29 PM

Chris,

Don't let the Pepboys rip you off. They could scan the car if they wanted
to, not all codes set the light. I would not expect that sort of crap from
them. If you have an Autozone, they will be happy to help you free. If you
haven't given her a tune up, it may be time. Since she runs and the problem
is infrequent, time is on your side. Let's get the code scan done
and take it from there.

You might think about where you buy your fuel, my buddy recently bought
fuel for his Vette and bike at a place close to where he works and
they both had serious idle issues that cleared up when the fuel was
expended and refreshed with good gas. It happens, believe me. You
might be getting bad fuel periodically, you never know.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

Paul

Old 11-23-2014, 10:52 AM
Default No Codes

Paul,

Took the car to AutoZone this morning and they tried and tried but they kept getting 0 Codes.

I only buy gas from Shell and Mobil and have for the past 5 years, since the sluggish performance has happened three separate times I'm guessing it may not be fuel quality related.

Since the car will be sitting over the next few weeks I expected it to happen again. I don't want to leave it at the dealer for them to try and see if it happens I'll just try and record what happens ....if.....the next time it does its thing.

Thanks for your help to date and we'll see if it happens next weekend.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:52 PM
Default Private Message Notice

Wings,

I sent you a Private Message (PM) and ask that you take a look.

Paul

Old 12-05-2014, 09:27 PM
Default Still Going

Paul,

Sorry for the delay. I just got home yesterday. So the car sat from Monday before T-Giving until my wife started it on Monday but didn't drive it. I drove it today and no issues. Possibly didn't sit long enough or it was bad gas.

I appreciate your help and information. That gas pressure test was a bit out of my range for trouble shooting but would have someone give it a try. I really think it may be the transmission. When driving I notice it doesn't shift as early as it should RPMs get to about 3500 from 1st to 2nd sometimes. Also hear a hissing / air rush when accelerating and goes away when no pressure on the pedal. Sounds like under the car not in front and up by the engine.

Again appreciate your time and info and if the car dies/sputters/ or I get it looked at I'll pass along the info so you'll have some more info for others.

Old 12-06-2014, 06:58 AM

Chris,
Thanks for the update. Your last post tells me that you might have more than
one issue. I would still anticipate the shifting and rushing air flow sounds would set
some sort of code, time will tell. In the meantime, have your wife drive the car, I find
that my wife is the best "Sounding Board" for when something doesn't work, then I go
and troubleshoot. You have heard about the "Canary" in the coal mine I am sure.
Stay in touch.

Paul

Old 01-27-2015, 02:36 PM
Default Problem Found......

Just to follow up on this. I took the car in for a tune up, and it was determined that I need a new exhaust system. Apparently the converter (looks like honeycomb) is deteriorating and sitting in the pipes...so my guess is that when it was sitting the pieces would settle and block the exhaust from exiting the car and give it hesitation. Driving it would smooth out the debris and so it runs but still a hesitation.

Moral of the story is a have a partially blocked exhaust.