Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Gear shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Exclamation Gear shifting problem

i have a 2002 santa fe which will not go into 5th and reverse So i have put a new clutch in and new oil Has any one had the same problem

Old 02-09-2010, 07:57 PM

what did the old gear oil look like?? if it was all sparkly, then you probably have some very worn synchros and blocking gears.

will the gear engage in reverse if you start it with reverse engaged and let you foot off the clutch?? any grinding??

if it works that way, then i say milk it until you can find another transaxle. (good luck with an 02 5 spd, i think they made, what, 6 or 7 of them??)

if you put a clutch in (as in *you*, not a repair shop), then you can manage to do it again and save yourself some coin. if a shop put in a clutch, did they do so at your request, or did they do the diagnosis as a bad clutch?? if you asked them to, then that became an expensive lesson on why there are shop fees for diagnostics. if they did the diagnosis, then i would be asking them to fix it correctly. (unless this was like 6 weeks ago before your [insert some morons name here] decided to 'borrow' your ride. then you're just plain out of luck skippy.)

i'll be glad to shed some more cheery light on this subject any time.

df

Old 02-10-2010, 03:43 PM
Default 5th and reverse

Hi and thanks for the reply The oil looks ok and i can not get 5th and reverse with the engine switch off if i do get it in 5th or reverse when driving, then it is hard to get out and to get it into another gear i allso get a oil burning smell ?.The problem started when i had a gearbox noise and sum times slipping in high revs i put new oil in and a new clutch i took a bolt out of the front middle part of the gearbox thinking it was the filler point which i now no it was wrong

Old 02-11-2010, 11:05 AM

gearbox noise could be from low oil levels, or worn bearings.

the burning smell could be the clutch, or residue on the exhaust.

slipping would be indicative of a worn clutch.

i am not certain of the bolt in which you speak, pics??

as far as the fluid, i was talking about the old gear oil, or did you not drain it?? there should be a drain on the bottom, and you only need a small sample. there should be no metal flakes present. shiny silvery looking pieces would indicate bearing failure (and possible source of noises), while goldish flakes are indicative of blocking rings and synchros (which could give you engagement issues).

did you have the flywheel resurfaced, or did you just slap a new disk in??

difficulty in disengaging a gear would indicate to me some sort of issue with the pressure plate, or alignment of the assembly, improperly installed clutch disk, or shift lever bushings that are worn. without actually being able to see the vehicle it is difficult to assess acurately, but these are the areas i would check first.

good luck.

df

Old 02-11-2010, 03:34 PM

I drained the old gearbox oil it looket ok but it had a very strong smell to it ( like gas ). I put the new clutch in because i was having this problem, the clutch and flywheel was ok but i still put the new clutch in.Think it may be the shift lever bushes because i cannot get 5h and reverse when the engine is off and sumtimes the gear stick is in neutral but it is still stuck in a gear
thank again for your help
paul