Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Is it the Front wheel bearing? brake caliper?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Default Is it the Front wheel bearing? brake caliper?

About 6 months ago my wife's 03 Sante Fe had a rotor split in half so I replaced both rotors. She recently told me it was making a "howling noise" but until yesterday I'd never heard it. We had to go to a friends funeral service and we took her car. It sounded like the brake was dragging after we got most of the way there (intermittenetly) but it didn't pull at all. Today we swapped vehicles so I could take a look at it. I ran down the road a few (8) miles to borrow some jack stands from a friend so I could get under the car and take a look. When I got out I put my hand on the rotor and it was HOT. Thought it was a caliper but when I got back home and pulled it I was able to get the caliper squeezed and pulled off so it wasn't frozen. The rotor was HOT again but the axle nut didn't feel that warm. I should also note that it was only the drivers side, passenger side was warm but much cooler than drivers side. I've ordered a replacement caliper but figured I'd throw it out here and see if I might have missed something and I really don't want to have to buy all the special tools to do bearings.