Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Spark plug specs 2018 SF Sport 2L turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2023, 04:16 PM
Default Spark plug specs 2018 SF Sport 2L turbo

2018 Santa Fe Sport, with the Limited package and the 2 liter 4-cylinder turbo engine.

I'm trying to find some info on replacement spark plugs and Hyundai has made it far too difficult. There's nothing on plug type and gap in the manual or on the emissions tag under the hood. The sceptical among us would think they want us to give up on this simple maintenance task and bring it to them at their ridiculously inflated prices.

Apparently this engine needs iridium plugs ($). The Hyundai part number I've found is 18849-09085. (I found an "upgrade" on the design 18857-09085 with an extended lip to better protect the insulator, but nowhere could I find that it was applicable to the 2018 SFS.) Apparently 18849 refers to the manufacturer and plug design, 09 to the "pre-gap", and 085 to the heat range.

I want to stick with NGK plugs for their quality, and the equivalent to the Hyundai part number is Stock No. 92422, or SILZKR8E9G. The same source as above says SILZKR is the plug construction code, 8 is the heat range, E is the "revision", and 9 is the "factory pre-gap".

So both the Hyundai and NKG pre-gaps are the same. "9" = 0.9 mm or 0.036". So the NGK plugs don't need any change to the gap.

But given that a bad choice on something in the combustion chamber can result in negative consequences ranging from poor performance to a wrecked engine, especially with the turbo, I'd still like that gap confirmed by a Hyundai service manual or the like. Does anyone have a link to a source like that?

Thanks!

Old 12-21-2023, 08:48 AM

Suggest you verify the Hyundai recommended spark plug and purchase it from wherever you choose.
Make sure you set them at the recommended gap and don't over torque them on installation.

Equally and more important for any engine with a turbo, is regular oil changes with a quality motor oil.

Old 12-23-2023, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Suggest you verify the Hyundai recommended spark plug and purchase it from wherever you choose.
Make sure you set them at the recommended gap and don't over torque them on installation.

Equally and more important for any engine with a turbo, is regular oil changes with a quality motor oil.
Thank you for the response but it didn’t answer my question. Are you aware of any reputable source that can confirm the required gap?

Old 12-24-2023, 07:21 AM

That info is usually in the owner's manual in the specifications section.

Old 12-24-2023, 09:40 AM

I agree, but as I mentioned in my original post, there’s nothing there nor on the emissions tag under the hood.

Old 12-24-2023, 11:40 AM

Don't know why Hyundai didn't put the spark plug info in their owner's manual, but I checked and you were right and I was wrong.

Suppose we take a different approach, can you call your local Hyundai dealership parts dept and ask them what plugs they have for your PARTICULAR vehicle (turbo) and if they have them which number and the cost before you come down to get them.?

What number and make plugs are in there now? If you have that info you can cross that info over to another brand if you choose.
Make a note of that info for future reference.

Last but not least, you may windup purchasing the 4 plugs from the dealership parts dept, ONCE.

Old 12-24-2023, 01:52 PM

I know which Hyundai plug it is and the equivalent aftermarket NGK. (The dealer quoted me $50 - Canadian - per plug, hence why I’m looking to do the job myself.) The parts guy had no clue of the right gap and the service department wants me to bring it in for them to do it…

I thought it might be easier to get a reputable source of gap info through a forum rather than phoning around to dealers until I could find one that would give me the (hopefully) right info.