Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

2008 Sante Fe headlight bulb replacement

Old 12-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Default 2008 Sante Fe headlight bulb replacement

Our 81,000 mile Sante Fe's left front low beam bulb burned out and I had quite an adventure trying to change the bulb out. I looked for some info on this site and another Hyundai site after my initial attempts to remove the bulb got me nowhere. It seemed to indicate that the entire headlight pod should be removed being careful not to break a "clip" that is hidden and keeps the pod from coming right out once the 3 bolts are removed. I messed with it for a couple of hours but finally decided I'd rather pay the dealer to get it done than for me to break the entire pod which is probably a $250 part. So I went to our local dealer (at that point I didn't even want Jiffy Lube messing with it- I wanted to see how it was supposed to be done by trained Hyundai techs). I read on the site that the left side is pretty much impossible to get to the bulbs without removing the pod. I can see how it would be a lot easier to install a bulb with the pod removed, and that would be the case, IF you could get the pod out. That pod is in there and I never did find the hidden clip it warns not to break.
Anyway, I was due for an oil change, which I have always done myself, but figured since it's winter in Chicagoland that I would get that done as well.
The lube tech agreed that the lights are a little tough to get to but the pod does not need to come out. He removed the round screw off protector and reached in to release the clip and presto, brought the old bulb out. He showed me the pin on the new bulb that needs to go into the guide hole so the bulb is aimed correctly. Says he does a couple a month where people switch their own but don't get the pin in the hole so the aim is way off. I told him I wasn't sure how that retainer spring worked so I had been grasping blindly when I tried to do it that way.

Here's a good idea for first timers.
He said to remove the high beam round cover on the right side which is a lot more open and you can see how to and actually undo the spring retainer so that you know what to do on the side that is so much tighter due to the fuse box being on the left side. All said the Hyundai bulb was maybe a couple bucks more than AutoZone and I think labor was about $12 so that or Jiffy Lube may make it more than worth the trouble. Hope that helps someone down the road.

Last edited by Gordy Klug; 12-17-2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:58 PM

Just remove the headlamp and be done with it..

Sat and watched my advisor fumble for maybe 10 minute trying to change Elantra bulb in aisle..

I see upside down bulbs/out of place everyday... fella came in yesterday with both bulbs installed incorrect... did not want to pay me to install correctly, oh well, be happy with light no projected properly..

Wrong way --

Correct install -

Wrong way --

Right way ---

Attached Thumbnails 2008 Sante Fe headlight bulb replacement-pict0390.jpg   2008 Sante Fe headlight bulb replacement-pict0393.jpg   2008 Sante Fe headlight bulb replacement-pict0389.jpg   2008 Sante Fe headlight bulb replacement-pict0118.jpg  

Last edited by sbr711; 12-18-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:26 AM

These pictures are GREAT! If I could have found these while I was trying to get the bulb out I think it would have been a snap. That's exactly the type of info I was hoping to see when I first came on the forum seeking advice on how to do it.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:23 PM

It looks like I'm going to have to bring it to the dealer. I tried doing this without removing the headlight assembly but my hands are too big. I also am unable to get the assembly out and wish I knew the trick. The owners manual makes it sound so simple, but no matter which way I try to remove it I can not get it clear of the actual body and it seems almost like the body was put on after the headlight assembly. I've never had this much trouble changing a headlight bulb in any car I have owned.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:10 PM

Yeah, it can be a real treat, especially for those of us who don't change
them a few times a week. Once I completely took the clip off without
reading anything on how to change the bulb, because who needs directions on how to change one. Wow, that was fun figuring out how
the clip goes back on correctly. Once you put it back together you
realize how simple it is...until the next time you go to change the bulbs
again.

If I remember correctly you also have to move the battery out of the way
to get to one of them. No need ot disconnect it, just loosen the bracket
and move it.

John

Old 03-03-2011, 09:08 AM
Thumbs up Thanks to Gordy

Great info and PICS even...a huge help as I replaced the right low-beam today. Thanks very much for taking the time to post all that!

Old 03-16-2011, 12:43 PM

After paying $40 to get low beam done on drivers side I decided to do pass side myself. After figuring out the "trick" it's really simple---look at the pic "correct install" don't loosen ANYTHING--just push the left side (in pic) in and down under that little lip--you can then swing the spring up and replace the bulb--then just work the clip back in place.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:01 PM

Thank you all! I spent an hour trying to get the assembly out per the owners manual. Had both lows changed in ten minutes after finding this, thanks again and have a Blessed Day
<///><

Old 04-30-2011, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Gordy Klug
Our 81,000 mile Sante Fe's left front low beam bulb burned out and I had quite an adventure trying to change the bulb out. I looked for some info on this site and another Hyundai site after my initial attempts to remove the bulb got me nowhere.
So here's a question I have...I went to the auto parts store to get a replacement bulb, and they gave me a low-beam/high-beam bulb, but the low beam and high beam lights are separate lights...so does the Santa Fe use the same part for both low beams and high beams, i.e. it ends up using four of the same bulbs?

Old 05-01-2011, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

They gave you the wrong bulb. Take it back and go to a different store. One that has people that know what they are doing.

Last edited by NovaResource; 01-21-2013 at 02:07 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 Sante Fe headlight bulb replacement