Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Thermostat gasket

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 11:35 AM
Default Thermostat gasket

Hi all,

I'm replacing my thermostat on my 3.5L Santa Fe for P.M.

I bought a OE temp Stant at Advanced Auto parts and it does not come with a rubber gasket, nor do any of the part chains sell just the gasket. I'm sure the dealer techs here will say to take it back and buy genuine Hyundai, but overpaying for a thermostat isn't my bag. I don't think the dealership wants my parts business anyway. I called for price/availability for a timing belt at normal weekday hours and the receptionist took my message and they never called me back!!! I bought a Dayco kit instead.

Anywho, my question is I took the old thermostat out of the housing and the rubber gasket looks fine. Can I reuse it on the new thermostat or am I asking for a leak? Also the neck doesn't have any type of gasket, so there is no backup if it goes.

Another question to the dealer techs, what is the purpose, if any, is that tiny, loose button on the OE thermostat? All the aftermarket units do not have that. Is it really necessary?

Thanks for reading!

Old 10-31-2010, 05:53 PM

Now you know why you gt the aftermarket t-stat so cheaply..... it not have oll the features of the Hyundai part numbered part.. Hyundai is thick stainless steel, Stant thin flimsy brass.. Hyundai has jiggle valve to let air out, Stant does not,,, gonna be fun when over heat trying to fill up system. Gasket is an expendable, replace, no salvaging parts, too risky.

Go to the Hyundai dealer or Kia dealer and buy the t-stat and gasket.. at Kia, tell them you gots an AMANTI.. has the same 3.5 as Santa Fe, XG.