Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

3.5l Santa Fe spark plug change???

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 07:09 PM

OOOOOP's,,,, You aint supposed to goof with tha part.... Yuo just take the 2 plugs off of it..

That is the motor for the variable induction vavle.. You may end up with code if get real unlucky, and when we get code for that, we replace tha entire piece of intake manifold.. about $500 just for the part (not had a customer pay 1 in long time to know exactly the part cost).. It wont give you idle problem, you really wont notice performance issue either, just a light on and code for Variable intake malf

Old 10-05-2010, 07:14 PM

Could that be the reason why flooring the gas pedal does not effect the idle?
Would one of those plug in computers (to interpret faults) help with what is happening, or should I admit defeat and tow it to Hyundai??

Old 10-05-2010, 10:26 PM

Did you plug the throttle motor in fully ?

Did you re-initialize the throttle plate ?

I assume you have the full air intake duct installed, MAF installed with arrow pointing toward the throttle plate, and the MAF plugged in properly..

Anytime we go from running, do service work,,, it dont run,,, you missed something upon re-assembly.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:42 PM

I tried your earlier suggestion....key off, turn to ign. turn off in 2-3 seconds...then start....Tried it a few times. Is that re-initializing the throttle plate? Not sure where the throttle motor is, or what the MAF is...but I'll look 'em up and check 'em again.
I had the problem, took it all apart..put it back and have same problem...so must be missing the same thing twice. I will give it another look on Friday.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:40 AM

LATEST UPDATE.....
Brought my Santa Fe into the local repair place (not Hyundai, but known good)
Code said it had a bad t p s sensor. (seems strange for it to fail just as I had everything apart...but, who knows?).
They changed it...road test A.O.K...I paid, and went to pick up car last night, and it was same as I left it. New part has to be flashed...or programmed. They think perhaps the programming didn't "take"??? So they will do it again, and try the car after 3-5 hours and see what happens.
Does programming sometimes glitch??

Old 10-21-2010, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by slide4417
LATEST UPDATE.....
Brought my Santa Fe into the local repair place (not Hyundai, but known good)
Code said it had a bad t p s sensor. (seems strange for it to fail just as I had everything apart...but, who knows?).
What was the code ?? 3.5 codes is easy to look at wrong stuff if you do not know how to read the abbreviations they use..

They changed it...road test A.O.K...I paid, and went to pick up car last night, and it was same as I left it.
TPS is not a fail item on the 3.5.. 7yr of Hyundai, I replaced only 1, and it was only because the owner had a free scan at parts store, they told him to buy a TPS, so he order it, shows up at our place, and says "install this TPS I ordered".... not fix his problem.. he left.

We see the APS sensor fail all the time, but no TPS

New part has to be flashed...or programmed.
TPS is just a part, no reflash for a part, we reflash PCM for updates.
There is a LINEAR THROTTLE program for most all the 3.5 for better throttle response, do them all the time

They think perhaps the programming didn't "take"???
Outside shops do not have ability to do Hyundai programs, that info is proprietary. Need Hi-Scan or GDS to do Hyundai programs $$$

So they will do it again, and try the car after 3-5 hours and see what happens.

Does programming sometimes glitch??
If we goof during a program, it leaves the ROM empty, engine cranks, but it will not fire.. I hate it when that happens, then I gots to undo power, reconnect, and do a manual forced program..
Tell me the actual code (P-xxxx) that was stored...

Old 10-25-2010, 08:25 AM

I know the fellow at this repair facility, so I picked up the car yesterday, and it is back where I started. That is...it runs...now with new plugs and wires. When I initially brought it into Hyundai for a problem, he said the plugs and wires have to be changed before anything. That is what I did. My wife was driving it to work this morning and just came back to get the other car. "Still messed up" she said. When giving it gas ESPECIALLY under heavy load....like accelerating uphill on the highway..It shakes so much, you'd think a wheel was falling off. Not alignment, cuz it only does it with acceleration...not coasting. Feels like the engine is running on 3 plugs..even rear view mirror image shakes like mad. Around town, not bad...until you are in top gear and try to go a bit faster. I'll bring it back to Hyunday, and say..."well...now the plugs and wires are new" ....and TPS for that matter!!

Old 10-31-2010, 10:19 AM

Any update yet?

Old 10-31-2010, 07:24 PM

No update yet. Car is defunct sitting in the driveway. Hopefully I will get a chance to bring it in this week. I'll post an update when I do.
Thanks!!!

Old 11-01-2010, 11:00 AM

AN UPDATE THIS MORNING.
Brought the car in, and the mechanic drove it around....the Santa Fe proceeded to shake....as expected.
Mechanic said "It's not the engine at all...the engine is fine. The problem is a drive line vibration".
Anyone want to start taking guesses what they might find?
He said could be an axle, could be a drive shaft, could be a cv joint, could even be a transmission (but it shifts fine, so less likely).
Are there any Santa Fe "been there, done that" common failures that relate to vibration with speed...but only when gas is applied? Don't have to floor it, just a slight bit of gas while moving along at 40 or so and up...and it will shake.
Thanks!!!!

Quick Reply: 3.5l Santa Fe spark plug change???