Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

A/C Qwerks, hacks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BrokenSpoke
I'm not sure its "broken" so much as that's how it works. That doesn't mean that how it SHOULD work though.

Here's a video showing you the "problem".

http://vid1203.photobucket.com/album...pshyrmdzr5.mp4
Okay, I get it. Yes, that is how it's supposed to work. It has to do with the presets for "MAX A/C" vs regular "A/C". Basically, using the "MAX A/C" button is a one-touch operation that sets the outlet to upper dash only and the intake system to recirculate. However, if you were to select any other setting, such as upper dash and floor outlets, it comes out of "MAX A/C" logic and reverts back to what setting were had before you picked "MAX A/C".

Bottom line: No problem. Works as designed.

It doesn't explain that operation very well in your owners manual but it used to in older/other Hyundai vehicles. Personally, I never use the "MAX A/C" button. All it does it turn the A/C on, put it in upper dash outlets and turn recirculation on if it wasn't already. I'd just rather do all that myself.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:01 AM

Well, I guess that explains it then.

In Texas though, re-circulation isn't an option. If you are not recirculating the air, it's not possible to cool the interior of the car. I'd like to hack it though because I don't see any reason why I need to lose both Max A/C and recirculate by hitting the button.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

You aren't understanding how it works.

If you want to use the A/C, just hit the A/C button. Don't even use the MAX A/C button. It's not a more powerful A/C. All the MAX A/C button does it pre-select 3 things:
- turns the A/C on
- selects upper dash outlets
- turns recirculate on
That's all it does. You get the exact same air conditioning by selecting the three separate buttons manually.