Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Can't get into Park to Start

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Default Can't get into Park to Start

I have been fixing a 2006 Santa Fe GLS for a friend that was left sitting for 2 years.

The car started up just fine at first (after charging the battery), but I noticed it was kind of hard to get the car to shift in and out of Park. It was physically difficult to move the gear selector. I disregarded this because it was working and just a slight annoyance.

I then proceeded to replace the front brake pads and rotors, because they were completely shot. When I went to start the car to reposition it to do the rear brakes the car would not start. In fact the key would not turn at all at first until I jiggled it a bit. The gear selector is positioned as far forward as I can get it to go (appears to be at Park), but the light on the dash shows that it is still in Reverse and the car will not even attempt to start. I can put the car in Neutral (and the light indicates it is in neutral), but it will not start in Neutral either.

Does anyone have any suggestions where to start? I have good knowledge of cars, but mostly older Toyotas.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

The shifter is probably out of adjustment.

PROCEDURE TO INSTALL THE LOCK CAM

1.Move A/T lever to "P" position to set the key lock cam and the shift lock cam as shown in the figure.
A.Check that the key lock cam is located at "B" by the detent pin.
B.Check that the shift lock cam is located at "A".

2.Check that the key cylinder is at "LOCK".

PROCEDURE FOR ADJUSTING SHIFT LOCK AND KEY LOCK CABLE
1.Check that each lock cam is as shown in the figure.
2.Install the shift lock and key lock cable in position. In this case, the shift lock cable must be fixed to the brake pedal and the key lock cable must be fixed to the key cylinder.
3.Temporarily install each cable to the A/T lever assembly as shown in the figure. Securely insert the cable end into the fixing pin of each cam.

4.Slightly pull the shift lock cable in the direction "E".
5.After checking that the portion of the cable end touches the cable fixing pin, fix with the self-tapping bolt.
6.Slightly push the key lock cam to direction "Q".
7.Slightly pull the key lock cable in the direction "G" to stretch the cable. Then fix the cable with the self-tapping bolt.
8.Check that the key lock and the shift lock cable are secure.

PROCEDURE FOR CHECKING THE SHIFT LOCK
1.When the brake pedal is not depressed, the push button of the shift lever at "P" position must not be operable. (Shift lever cannot be shifted at the other positions from "P")
2.When the brake pedal stroke is 15~22mm (with shift lever at "P" position), the push button should be operable without catching and the shift lever should shift smoothly to other positions.
3.When the brake pedal is not depressed, the shift lever should shift smoothly to "P" position from all heading other positions.
4.The brake pedal must operate smoothly without catching.
5.When the ignition key is at the "LOCK" position, although brake pedal is depressed, the push button should be operable.
6.The Ignition key must not be able to be turned to the "LOCK" position except in the "P" position.
7.If the shift lever is shifted to the "P" position, the ignition key must turn to the "LOCK" position smoothly.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:53 PM

Thanks for that suggestion, I will go do that adjustment.

I just noticed that I can get the car to start in Neutral. Once its started it will not go into Drive, and seemingly Park either. If I put the selector in Drive it is as if the car is still in neutral, Reverse works just fine.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:32 PM

OK, I made sure that those things were adjusted properly, which for the most part they were. I made a slight adjustment, but it hasn't made any difference.

I need to put the car in Neutral in order to start it, and it still is very temperamental about going into Drive (very hard to do). It goes into reverse just fine.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

I'd check the cable and the linkage on the trans next. Make sure they aren't binding.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:13 PM

I just got back to dealing with the shifting issue, and checked the linkage/actuator. It seems to be binding at the actuator. When you attempt to shift from Park to Reverse to Drive etc the support before the linkage connects to the trans is bending/straning.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to trouble shoot this issue?

I sprayed the support with some PB Blaster because it appeared to have some rust in hopes that it is the issue, and that is currently sitting. I would assume next I should check the actuator to see if that is the culprit. Other than replacing it is there any other way to check it?