Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

2007 Hyundai Santa Fe sunroof water leak!

Old 03-19-2009, 10:50 AM
Default 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe sunroof water leak!

Hello,

My 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (3.3L V6 Silver) is currently at Hyundai as we speak for a big water leak around the sunroof. I didn't notice this until recently when I had the shade part open, but if I run the car through a car wash, or even put a garden hose over the sunroof, it leaks in the rear of the sunroof (part that tilts open). Anyway, I've been fortunate enough that the water is running into the tray, and out the drain holes, however, I fear that one day it will start backing up into the car. I will keep you all posted on what Hyundai finds/does to remedy this situation. I've read NUMEROUS threads about this issue, and most people have had problems with Hyundai actually correcting this. Anyway, I was just curious if Hyundai has found a solution to this problem, and if any others on this board have experienced this issue.

Thanks!

Old 03-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

That's what the tray and drain holes are for, to drain the water. As long as the drain holes/lines are not blocked, it shouldn't backup into the interior.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:05 AM

Correct, but I still don't think that the water should be entering through the rear of the sunroof like a faucet. It doesn't just drip in, it' comes in at a steady rate...

Old 03-19-2009, 12:41 PM
Banned

Sounds like it's under warranty. Why don't you take it to the dealer?

Old 03-19-2009, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by jsinton
Sounds like it's under warranty. Why don't you take it to the dealer?
I did that.

Just an update: It was determined that the rubber seal that goes around the perimeter of the sunroof glass is the cause of the water leak. I guess it's not sealing properly to the room when it's closed, therefore the rain/car wash water is coming through. The new rubber seal is on order, and hopefully, it will be installed early next week.

Lastly, I had a Full Synthetic Oil Change (Mobil 1 - I didn't know Hyundai offered that), and a tire rotation. It came to $99. Does that sound really high, or is that about the going rate for the 2 services?

Thanks!

Jeff

Old 04-10-2009, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by JL07Santa
I did that.

Just an update: It was determined that the rubber seal that goes around the perimeter of the sunroof glass is the cause of the water leak. I guess it's not sealing properly to the room when it's closed, therefore the rain/car wash water is coming through. The new rubber seal is on order, and hopefully, it will be installed early next week.

Lastly, I had a Full Synthetic Oil Change (Mobil 1 - I didn't know Hyundai offered that), and a tire rotation. It came to $99. Does that sound really high, or is that about the going rate for the 2 services?

Thanks!

Jeff
Hi - I am new to the forum, but have been browsing the posts. I saw your note about a leaky sunroof. The gasket on my sunroof also lets rain or carwash pass through to the water management system. While it isn't pouring in as you observed, and it hasn't leaked into the car, I also find it unnerving.

What did the dealership do to determine that you have a faulty seal? Is the new seal working better for you now that it has been replaced? I picked up my 2007 Santa FE SE used with only 11K miles about a month ago and I plan on visiting the dealer to discuss a fix. It would be great to have some information in-hand if you are able to share.

Thanks in advance for your help...

Marty