Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

How do you program keyless entry for 2004?

Old 04-02-2006, 05:53 PM
Default How do you program keyless entry for 2004?

Hello,
Just purchased a used 2004 Santa Fe and only received one keyless remote. Thinking about purchasing a remote on ebay and wondering if anyone knows how to program one!!??

Thanks
Lainie

Old 04-05-2006, 09:06 PM
Default RE: How do you program keyless entry for 2004?

unfortunately it has to be programmed using hi scan (hyundai,s diagnostic tool or equivelent)

Old 01-24-2007, 05:21 PM

I had the same problem with my '04 Santa Fe. A quick google search came back with the solution.

You will need BOTH remotes! Find the remote/alarm control box under the dash. It should bea small box right next to the fuse panel. Look/feel for a smallnotch or window on the side of the box, there should be a switchmarked set/off.Using a small tool, slide the switch to set, pusha button on the remotes(lock or unlock will do), slide the switch back to off. Be aware that you need to push a button on both remotes withina few seconds or so of each other. Now try and lock/unlock the doors.Make sure you test it with BOTH remotes before you lock it up!! It took me about 10 minutes to do and worked on the 1st try!

[sm=hiya.gif]

Old 11-27-2007, 10:03 AM

ORIGINAL: Cavallino

I had the same problem with my '04 Santa Fe. A quick google search came back with the solution.

You will need BOTH remotes! Find the remote/alarm control box under the dash. It should bea small box right next to the fuse panel. Look/feel for a smallnotch or window on the side of the box, there should be a switchmarked set/off.Using a small tool, slide the switch to set, pusha button on the remotes(lock or unlock will do), slide the switch back to off. Be aware that you need to push a button on both remotes withina few seconds or so of each other. Now try and lock/unlock the doors.Make sure you test it with BOTH remotes before you lock it up!! It took me about 10 minutes to do and worked on the 1st try!

[sm=hiya.gif]
Can someone please confirm/deny this method before I try DIYing it? It seems from my research that the more popular option is having the dealership do it.

Edit: I have no remotes at the moment and I notice this says I need BOTH remotes. I confirmed the VIN with the dealership that the car came with keyless from the factory and that the remotes were probably striped by the leasing company and re-sold. Bastards. Is the first remote required or can I just do this procedure with one remote?

Old 11-28-2007, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Check out this link: http://www.santafemods.com/Mods/TransmitterCode.htm. Note that it shows a "Code Saving Switch" on the ETACS. If you have that switch, you can do it yourself; if not, the dealer has to do it. I know on Elantras, 01-03 have the switch; 04-06 do not. I'm not sure whenthe Santa Fe changed over. If your ETACS does not have a Code Saving Switch, the dealer has to program it. If it doesn't have the switch and the car is still under warranty, I've heard that some people have gone to a dealer and complained that their remotes used to work but they don't anymore and the dealer reprogrammed the remotes under warranty. If they won't do that for you, it will probably cost up to about $100 for them to do it.