Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Ignition key cannot be turned

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 11:17 PM
Default Ignition key cannot be turned

The ignition key could not be turned to start my Santa Fe 2004. Eventualy the key was turned and started thr car, Why was the key stuck to be immovable?[:@]

Old 07-25-2005, 01:40 AM
Default RE: Ignition key cannot be turned

Without further information, my first guess is that the position of the steering wheel prohibited the key from turning. If you turn the wheel a bit, the pressure is released, and the ignition will turn properly.

Old 07-25-2005, 05:56 PM
Administrator

it could be the position of the steering wheel, or it could also be the shift lock...i know that DCX has had some problems with the shifter postioning, and it could be the same thing...are you still under warranty?

Old 07-27-2005, 02:42 AM

What is meant by shift lock? This is refeence to my post " Ignition key cannot be turned"
Yes I am under warranty since the car is only 6 months old. Thanks for the replies. They are very helpful.

Old 08-02-2005, 01:18 PM

Sometimes the simplest solution is the right one. Was the steering wheel locked?

Don't feel bad if it was. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, and pretty intelligent, but I've been fooled by window lock buttons I can't tell you how many times.

05SG

Old 09-07-2005, 04:17 PM

My wife called this AM with the same problem..she had to end up taking our SUV to work because of this....she is not an idiot and has been driving for years.....never had this issue before,..,.

I have to look at it when I get home, but I am guessing it is something more sinister than the wheel being "locked"....Thisi s on an 06 Sonata...have had it about a month.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:13 AM
Default Key will not turn

I have a 2007 Accent and experienced the frustration of the ignition cylinder jamming. At first I tried spraying with carb cleaner and wd40 but eventually it would lock up again and I could not turn the key at all. I ended up fixing the problem by removing the key sensor mechanism from the lock cylinder. It is under a small metal cover, under a 2 wire connector on the lock cylinder. The mechanism under the cover looks just like a lock tumbler from a keyed lock and a small spring. The mechanism is supposed to be pushed up by the key and press a small button switch on the connector which tells the car that the key is in the ignition which enables the dinger when you open the door and the key is still in the ignition, however, the darn thing gets stuck and locks up the cylinder solid! If you can turn the key the fix is pretty simple. Remove the cowl, put the key in, turn to accessory, press the little button on the left, pull out the cylinder, pull of the connector, yank out the little metal cover and remove the spring and metal piece. The only caveat is that the bell will not ding when you leave the key in. You COULD tape the little button down and it will always ding if you want to.