Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Odd thing happening with 2003 Santa Fe...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 11:26 PM
Default Odd thing happening with 2003 Santa Fe...

I came home from work today and found several of the front, side and rear lights slowly flashing on the2003 Santa Fe(I don't know how long this was going on, it sat in the driveway all day since Idrove another vehicle to work). It is not the hazzard lights. The car won't start. The flashing lights will go out when I open the door, but several minutes later the lights start to flash again. While the flashing lights are getting slower (from the battery slowly dying, I assume) there must be an underlying electrical problem. Any ideas?

Old 01-23-2008, 08:02 PM
Default RE: Odd thing happening with 2003 Santa Fe...

sounds like you left the lights on , just checking. i would recommend that you just start the car, or replace batt. then have the car sit again and see if it will do the same with all lights off

Old 01-24-2008, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Odd thing happening with 2003 Santa Fe...

My bet is that the alarm went off but for some reason the siren didn't sound. The flashing lights all night killed the battery.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by rhotaling
I came home from work today and found several of the front, side and rear lights slowly flashing on the2003 Santa Fe(I don't know how long this was going on, it sat in the driveway all day since Idrove another vehicle to work). It is not the hazzard lights. The car won't start. The flashing lights will go out when I open the door, but several minutes later the lights start to flash again. While the flashing lights are getting slower (from the battery slowly dying, I assume) there must be an underlying electrical problem. Any ideas?

My 2001 Santa Fe did the exact same thing last night. I came home in a different car and saw the turn signals flashing dimly and slowly. The battery was almost dead and it was late, so I just disconnected the battery and left it.

This morning I went out there and jumped it, and I noticed that the automatic door locks were sticking (on mine, when you move the actual lock, it locks or unlocks the other doors) and the passenger side wouldn't move. I thought maybe the flashing lights were caused by some issue related to the locks, so I pulled the power locks fuse from under the dash, and turned the car off...the lights didn't come on after that.

Of course, I realized later that it may be pure coincidence that the lights stopped flashing after I unhooked the battery and reconnected and jumped the car, so I'll have to wait and see if the problems shows up again.

Has anyone else had any luck with this?

Old 11-15-2010, 01:00 PM

I went to garage this morning and my 2003 is doing similar. The headlight switch is automatic and was in the on position. (with key off, lights are off) I could hear a faint mechanical sounding clicking. The battery is almost dead and the car won't start. I turned the headlight switch to off and the clicking stopped. I'm wondering if the automatic headlight switch is in a wierd state? I haven't had a chance to troubleshoot further.

I have seen some intermittent electrical issues leading up to this: door locks only half open/close. engine will shut off while driving every couple days to weeks. It restarts by itself when driving.

Anyone want a Santa Fe? I hate this car and just haven't had time to trade it in. Bought it for my wife and she only drives the truck.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

You know, before you start blaming Hyundai, why don't you get the car looked at by a mechanic first. It is a 7+ year old car. Things like the battery go bad in that time. How old are the battery and wires?