Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

2002 Santa Fe Evaporator Core Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 06:51 PM
Default 2002 Santa Fe Evaporator Core Replacement

Just replaced the A/C compressor and the evap core cracks apparently. Trying to get an idea of how much work that is going to be and if I can do it myself. Any thoughts?

Also, how hard is it to replace the rear shocks on these vehicles? It's starting to bounce like an old lincoln town car. Any other feedback on this vehicle? Ours has never been wrecked and is overall a pretty good car. Thanks.

Woodsy

Old 05-31-2010, 07:26 PM

Evaporator --

Fella beside just did one here last week.. got an A/C machine to recover the 134 ? How do you plan to evacuate system and charge when done ?

Fella had to take the complete fan box with evaporator from dash, takes some proper wiggle in the right direction to get the whole thing out, then the replacement is bench job, then back into the dash goe s the assembly..

Shocks --

you can do them yourself, but be advised that the shock when fully extended has rear coil spring pressure on it.... so you need weight on the suspension so you can sllide the shock off the lower mount, might need somebody to sit in the rear to compress the suspension so you can assemble shock..

Old 06-01-2010, 02:47 AM
Default Doesn't sound too much

like playing with *******. I plan to use dude's tools to vacuum system out. Any special tools involved w/ the bench assembly of the core? He's reluctant to do the job, guess because he never has on this model. I ain't skeered, however.

The shocks will definitely be a two person hurrah. I think that's the least of worries for now. Have a monster power steering leak from the low pressure rubber hose which makes for a great rust-proofing since I live 1/4 mile from the ocean. I'm thinking I don't want to spend $200 on the lines, so I'll redneck something to stop the leak. Any ideas?

Old 06-01-2010, 07:11 PM

Good phillips screwdriver, a flat blade, and some patience...

Here is what you replacing -

Attached Thumbnails 2002 Santa Fe Evaporator Core Replacement-pict0110.jpg   2002 Santa Fe Evaporator Core Replacement-pict0111.jpg   2002 Santa Fe Evaporator Core Replacement-pict0112.jpg  
Old 06-02-2010, 03:37 AM
Default 7-11, you are my hero.

Like my 70 year old mentor/mechanic says: "You put new parts on the car all you want, but you're still driving an old piece of ****." With that in mind, I feel fully confident in replacing this unit with minimal plastic, screws, and washers left over. Seems to me I need to start passenger side, (with the glovebox/whatnot) and clear the way for the whole shabangabang before I start with the delicate ac/radio/ashtray case removal. I suppose I'm not worried about discharging the airbag as long as I'm not using a "Birmingham Screwdriver."

Much appreciation for the photo. Next query is the buildup that is on the core. Is that from sitting outside, or is it a probable replica of what I'm dealing with? Any idea on where (here it comes) the cheapest evap core around be getting sold?

Thanks again,

Hyundaisantafesaurusrex

Old 06-02-2010, 05:49 AM

My fellow tech did all his work at the glove box opening..

If you going to do the job, buy the factory part. It will fit correct.

The debris is std trash that drops into cowl/hood area that nobody bother to keep clean and car did not have a cabin filter to catch the stuff, so it goes into the HVAC and rots, hence the odor.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:24 PM
Default evap

Update. Bought a remanufactured one. Installed it. Leaked. Returned it. Got a new one. Leaked. Returned it. Getting one from Hyundai. $200.00usd. Thank you Carquest and vp parts for taking the broken cores back. Benefit: I can now quickly take the glove box and air box out of the Santa Fe. I got the second one installed in 1 hour. I would recommend taking the passenger seat out, giving plenty of room to work. Take the 4/ 10mm bolt/nuts off from the firewall, disconnect wires. The box comes out when rolled off the connecting bolts and then left side down and Bob's your uncle.

Be sure to be extra careful when reconnecting the thermistor. It is connected to a blue wire then to a plug on the air box. It probes down into the fins, so be careful or you'll be in trouble. Make sure to replace the green o-rings that connect through the firewall.

Take sbr711's foolishly un-listened to advice: BUY THE FACTORY PART, CHEAP A%$!!!

Thanks ^^^ , you're words helped tons. I hope this helps anyone trying to tackle the task.

Last edited by cwoods11d7; 08-29-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:51 PM
Default thanks for evaporator removing guide

Originally Posted by sbr711
Evaporator --

Fella beside just did one here last week.. got an A/C machine to recover the 134 ? How do you plan to evacuate system and charge when done ?

Fella had to take the complete fan box with evaporator from dash, takes some proper wiggle in the right direction to get the whole thing out, then the replacement is bench job, then back into the dash goe s the assembly..

Shocks --

you can do them yourself, but be advised that the shock when fully extended has rear coil spring pressure on it.... so you need weight on the suspension so you can sllide the shock off the lower mount, might need somebody to sit in the rear to compress the suspension so you can assemble shock..
Originally Posted by sbr711
Good phillips screwdriver, a flat blade, and some patience...

Here is what you replacing -

hey dude thank you for that very piece of information. short instructions but very precise and clear! my evaporator looks worst than the pictures posted in here. i will soon share my pics of the old evaporator. very dirty
thank you again! God bless!

Last edited by hallpearl; 01-19-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:56 PM

Clean out the debris from the box,,, and install a cabin air filter into the slot there.. Get both at Hyundai parts counter.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Talking

Would it be possible to prepare a write up for this? Thanks!

Quick Reply: 2002 Santa Fe Evaporator Core Replacement