Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Please HELP with my alarm that keeps going off!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 04:14 PM
Default Please HELP with my alarm that keeps going off!

I'm at my wits end here and would greatly appreciate anyone's help. The alarm on my 2003 Santa Fe has been going off at all hours of the night recently and I don't know what to do.

I live in a high-rise apartment building and park my Santa Fe in the lot below. Recently the alarm has been set off for no reason at all maybe 3 or 4 times a week, usually in the middle of the night. There's no one or no thing around at the time when this happens so it's obvious the thing is mal****ioning. My keyless remote that disarms the alarm won't reach down there from my balcony so I've been waking up and running downstairs at 4am to shut the thing off, no doubt pissing off a couple hundred neighbors.

The owner's manuel says that by pressing the "Lock" butten when exiting the car that this action arms the alarm. So I've stopped doing that and instead have been manually locking the doors but this doesn't seem to have solved my problem. I also took a look at the fuse box hoping to find the alarm fuse so I could rip it out but no such labeled fuse is in there.

Aside from taking a sledgehammer and swinging for the fences underneath that hood, I am now out of ideas. This has made me crazy and I'm sure my neighbors are ready to kick me out. Please, please, please, if anyone has any ideas at all how to permanently disarm this alarm or at least how to stop it from malfunctioning, I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks so much.

- Rob

Old 04-23-2006, 05:02 PM
Default RE: Please HELP with my alarm that keeps going off!

have you checked the bonnet/ hood pin switch as they can be height adjusted if you get a slight breeze it lifts the hood only slightly but enough to set the alarm off . try locking the car and going round the veichle and try to gently pull the hood up. do the same with the doors and trunk. htis might tell you where the fault is if not you will have to book in too the dealer to fix

Old 04-23-2006, 05:36 PM

thanks for the response... i'm not much of a car-guy so what is a "bonnet/ hood pin switch?"

thanks.

Old 04-24-2006, 03:46 PM

if you open your hood you will find a small plastic pin pointing upwards , usualy at the side of the engine bay,this can be pressed down when the hood is closed . basically its just a switch that earths out when the hood is open . its there to set the alarm off if someone tries to gain access to the cars battery.

Old 11-09-2020, 02:17 PM
Default Hyundai alarm going off

Originally Posted by Cannonball
I'm at my wits end here and would greatly appreciate anyone's help. The alarm on my 2003 Santa Fe has been going off at all hours of the night recently and I don't know what to do.

I live in a high-rise apartment building and park my Santa Fe in the lot below. Recently the alarm has been set off for no reason at all maybe 3 or 4 times a week, usually in the middle of the night. There's no one or no thing around at the time when this happens so it's obvious the thing is mal****ioning. My keyless remote that disarms the alarm won't reach down there from my balcony so I've been waking up and running downstairs at 4am to shut the thing off, no doubt pissing off a couple hundred neighbors.

The owner's manuel says that by pressing the "Lock" butten when exiting the car that this action arms the alarm. So I've stopped doing that and instead have been manually locking the doors but this doesn't seem to have solved my problem. I also took a look at the fuse box hoping to find the alarm fuse so I could rip it out but no such labeled fuse is in there.

Aside from taking a sledgehammer and swinging for the fences underneath that hood, I am now out of ideas. This has made me crazy and I'm sure my neighbors are ready to kick me out. Please, please, please, if anyone has any ideas at all how to permanently disarm this alarm or at least how to stop it from malfunctioning, I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks so much.

- Rob
Try using key in door lock. Turn counterclockwise (lock) twice. And pray! It's worked for me. Happens every now and then, this has worked. Good luck!

Old 11-12-2020, 01:36 AM
Default Same problem

Had my 2010 ix35 for 10 years and intermittently the alarm goes off for no apparent reason. Can happen in wind or no wind, on the flat or on a slope. Happened twice last night at 4 am and 7 am. Very annoying fir both me and the neighbours