Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Powersteering hose replace 2005

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 05:53 AM
Default Powersteering hose replace 2005

Hi, Has anyone had to replace their powersteering pressure hose? I have a 2005 Santa fe and was wondering what it may cost to replace it. It has a slight drip once every 5 minutes. Looked at it to do myself but looks really involved. Thanks

Old 03-14-2009, 11:07 AM
Banned

Can you see where it's leaking from? It might be the connection, you might be able to tighten it up and save time and money.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by carl h
Hi, Has anyone had to replace their powersteering pressure hose? I have a 2005 Santa fe and was wondering what it may cost to replace it. It has a slight drip once every 5 minutes. Looked at it to do myself but looks really involved. Thanks
While you debate with yourself to attempt the repair, make sure you keep the proper level of power steering fluid in the system. If the level gets low enough, you can experience pump and steering rack damage that is much more expensive to repair. Even on a slow leak like this, I would check it once a day since it is on the pressure hose (which can leak much worse pretty quickly). The 2005 Santa Fe uses Hyundai PSF-3 fluid in the power steering unit, which is the same thing as Dexron II/III automatic transmission fluid. Do not use any other type of fluid in the power steering unit including Hyundai SP-III ATF.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:28 PM
Default Powersteering leak

To give you a little backround on my problem. My original complaint- I had this smell of gear oil burning. Dealer checked it out and said the differential was the problem. They replaced the diff. and the leak turned into puddles on the ground after parking along with the burning smell. Brought back again and dealer said the differential must be defective. Replaced again (all covered under warranty $1700) and puddles stopped but burning smell still there. I checked powersteering fluid resevoir and noticed it was down about 1/4 inch. The powersteering fluid smell is the same as the burning smell which is a gear oil smell. (blowing on the exhaust pipe) Filled resevoir to full line and after a week its down about a 1/4 inch again, Which leads me to think its a powersteering leak all along. My powersteering fluid isnt dexron fluid, its more like regular powersteering fluid. It has a gear oil smell to it where dexron doesnt. The puddles samples on the ground (from differential leak)were clear, Powersteering fluid is clear both (powersteering and differentiol fluid) smell like gear oil and dexron is redish pink and doesnt smell like gear oil. Also I bought the car new so its not like anyone mixed fluids up. Steering works fine except for slight drip, Which seems to come from where the metal fitting meets the rubber hose.
Hope this info helps. Thanks