Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Rear Brake Issue, Engine issue - 07 2.7L SF

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 06:50 PM
Default Rear Brake Issue, Engine issue - 07 2.7L SF

Hi all:

The basics, I own an 07 2.7L V6 Santa Fe. Has 42K on it.

So, I'm sure alot of you know about the rear brake issue(s) with the Santa Fe's (and possibly other numerous models). Basically, when we bought the car with 18K and up until now, it's been very reliable. About a month ago, my wife says the car smelled, and was squeeling, coming from the rear. I take it for a spin, nothing wrong with it. She goes another couple weeks, still complains about it. So finally, I take it for a long ride, and sure enough I hear it. Now visually, I thought I had enough brake pad back there. The noise was similar to a cricket noise and increased its tempo in relation to speed. So I take the vehicle into the dealership. The short of it, rear brake pads and rotors resurfaced, not covered under warranty of course. After much digging online and seeing many of the same experiences, I'm very dissapointed. I also couldnt figure out how my rear passenger tire was worn out considerably in contrast to all 3 others. Ive read many that the caliper locks, overheats the hub and the tire gets some that heat as well. Not happy..so I get the car back, and 2 days later I get a serious sounding engine noise.

The engine noise, you can hear it immediately upon firing up vehicle. Sounds like its coming from the belt/pulley area. There is alot of squeeking going on in there and increases its tempo as rpm increases. So far, no issues with performance of vehicle and no engine lights..oil looks great and full. This is not belt squeal. I recorded a video, I'm hoping to get it up soon. We're bringing it back to the dealership and I'm going in with my fingers crossed as it doesnt sound minor

Oddly enough, the engine noise is still prevalent a few seconds after you shut the engine off; kinda like a wind down period.

Any ideas!?!?

EDIT: YT Video up for engine noise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHM9Q-tGFbI

Last edited by jalexa101; 06-26-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:49 PM

Update, so the car got towed to our local Hyundai dealership. Diagnosis: broken crankshaft pulley.

I cannot imagine the damage that couldve been done if the pulley actually seperated while driving. Im pretty sure alot of the internals would be affected. We'll see if the new CS pulley reveals any internal issues. Car has another year on warranty..am considering other options before it ends...This is twice we've had it on a flatbed to get towed to the dealership.

Wont be fixed until Wednesday (2 days from now), no loaner wheels from dealer or from hyundai.

Rear brakes will be reassessed when vehicle is driveable as the inital cricket ticking is gone but now there is a different sound upon heavy braking..

More to come...