Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

rear hatch cargo area door will not open

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 07:30 PM
Default rear hatch cargo area door will not open

Hi All,

The other night when returning to my 2001 Santa Fe 4wd I unlocked car with my remote but the rear cargo door will not budge when I went to open it with the handle. The window in the rear cargo door opens but not the door itself.

I wonder if anyone else has had this problem and if so maybe can help me figure out how to fix it.

thank you for any help or advice
Steve

Old 08-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Default RE: rear hatch cargo area door will not open

Same thing happened on my wife's 02 4WD. Something with the handle broke inside of the hatch. It was still under warranty at the time so the dealer replaced the entire assembly.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:55 AM

thanks hada02! Well..I have been away so sorry for delay in getting back to board. I did remove the inner rear cargo hatch plastic covering and after checking all the links and springs for breakage I sprayed WD40 on all moving mechnisms and lo and behold I was able to get the latch to open and close using either the remote and key.

I decided to keep the inside cover of and up until yesterday it was working fine, then again last night it would not open with either key or remote. Nothing is physically broke otherwise of course it would not work at all..but apparently something is sticking or not releasing all the way all of the time.

So I will crawl into back area tonight and open from inside and check again to see if i can pinpoint exactly what causes this to happen, I wonder if it is electrical, maybe a solanoid or something not working correctly?

Old 10-01-2008, 08:44 AM

Same problem here

However, I managed to pop the little "lever/trigger" in the rear handle. Then hit your remote "lock" then "unlock" then pull the "trigger" again. It will open.

It's a real pain in the butt ..... however I sprayed it liberally with WD40 and I'm crossing my fingers that it will continue to work for me.

I used an "allen key" to get behind the "lever" and pry it out. If you look under (lying on the ground looking straight up) the lever you will see that it has 3 or 4 depressions in it that will allow you to use the allen key to pop it back out again if it doesn't return to it's normal position.

Good luck,

Rockman