Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

replacing low beam headlamp

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 06:40 PM
Default replacing low beam headlamp

I have been replacing the low beam headlamps on both my 2003 Sonata and my 2007 Santa Fe for some time now. I run with the lows on all the time, so I pay the price by replacing the bulbs every so often.

Today I replaced the low beam on the Santa Fe, and did both bulbs at the same time. I always remove the headlight pod like the manual says to replace the lamp bulbs.

When I finished the job, I check the lights before putting the pod back in the body to see if everything is OK. The left side was great, but the right shows light but doesn't have the bright spot in the center of the beam like it should. I unhooked the pod and went back to the work bench to see if the lamp is seated correctly, and it was. Replaced the pod again, same problem.

Am I doing something wrong? I am using Sylvania H7 bulbs as I usually do. Do you think it is the bulb is defective, or am I messing something up with the alignment or focus of the projector when I put the pod back in the body? I had to "bop" the pod a few times to get the bottom to slide over the bumper cover. I wouldn't think the amount of pressure I used is any greater than some of the chuck holes I hit here in Ohio.

I also had this problem once on my Sonata.

Thanks,

daniel2229

Old 04-18-2010, 08:13 PM

Verify your bulb is indeed aligned with socket correctly.. a lot of DIY people fail to align the square tab on the bulb base with the notch of the socket.. especially when they do it in the car (not remove the lamp and work on table top)... see it al the time.

The ycome in and state "align head lamps, pointing low or something.. they dont bother to tell us they had just installe dtheir own bulb recently... I just pull the lamp out, reset the bulb..

Old 04-19-2010, 05:53 PM

Yes, that is the last thing I did - twice. I had that problem the first time I did the bulb in my 2003 Sonata. Took it out and found it wasn't seated correctly.

I always take the pod out. My hands are way too big to do the job in the engie compartment!

Is it possible I knocked the whole thing out of alignment when I pushed the pod back into the body?

daniel2229

Last edited by daniel2229; 04-19-2010 at 05:58 PM. Reason: add info
Old 04-19-2010, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by daniel2229
Yes, that is the last thing I did - twice. I had that problem the first time I did the bulb in my 2003 Sonata. Took it out and found it wasn't seated correctly.

I always take the pod out. My hands are way too big to do the job in the engie compartment!
Yea, they did not leave any room behind the cover to actually fit a hand in there.. our oil change guy never takes the lamp out, then I end once in a while getting to correct his bulb install..

Is it possible I knocked the whole thing out of alignment when I pushed the pod back into the body?
I really doubt it.. maybe you gots a 1 in 2 million bulb that filaments is assembled wrong inside the glass capsule ??

daniel2229
Hopefully it is something right there in front of you that is being overlooked.... never fails.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:48 AM

It never hurts to check the ground leads on both buckets. Corroded or loose grounds on the headlights, especially on just one bucket, can be real hob-goblins on these vehicle.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:32 PM

Well, something I did tonight was right on. It now focuses correctly. Go figure.

Thanks much for your input. You made me doubt that I had it seated correctly. I guess I didn't.

daniel