Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Rough running, power loss..

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 08:40 PM
Unhappy Rough running, power loss..

Well today I have moved on to the next project on my 02 v6 4X4 Santa Fe, which is the rough running. When I got the car, it had CEL with codes for misfire #5 and lean condition codes. I noticed the wires were in need of replacement (one had black tape wrapped around it) so changed the plugs and wires. The 2 hoses, one that goes between the valve covers on the pass side and the hose between the valve cover and throttle body on driver side were both cracked so replaced them along with a few other vacuum lines, just because I had access to them. Cleared the codes and it still runs like crap, but after 120 miles, city and highway driving, there are no CEL codes. When its first started it idles at 1500 and sounds like its missing and has very little power going down the road. When it warms up seems to run a bit better but still nowhere close to what it should. Equal compression on all 6 cylinders and has power to all 6 injectors and tested to be sure there was a pulse to them as well. Coil packs all tested well. Changed back cat , res, and muffler, cleaned all 6 fuel injectors and fuel rail, and still runs poorly. Is there a way to check fuel pressure? I didn't notice a port on the rail. Maybe pump or the filter in the tank? Or maybe a timing issue? Any ideas or experience on what is the problem or a fix with this would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
The Codes were:
P0305...#5 misfire
P0171...Bank 1 lean
P1166...Heated o2 bank 1:controllimit reached
P0174...Bank 2 lean
These were there BEFORE the plug change and vac hoses. There are no codes present at this time.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:07 PM

Check for gas in the vacuum line on the fuel pressure regulator. Look at back of fuel rail for a fitting for a pressure tester.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:52 PM

There wasn't any gas in that vacuum line, and I didn't see the port, had the rail off the vehicle, guess there is an adapter to use where the fuel goes in. CEL came back on and only misfire code, so I did fix the other things. Going to replace the regulator and injector and see what happens. Have done a lot of reading on this and it seems to be a difficult one to fix.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:08 PM

The adapter should have a spool piece two flanges with the test connection in the center. One end should bolt to the fuel rail. Some Kia's have had debris in the fuel tank.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:56 PM

Changed the filter on the fuel pump, the tank didn't seem too bad, cleaned everything, and it seemed to run a bit better for a little while, but not for long. trying to see if anyone has that adapter.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:40 AM

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/TR...4_231620_1.gif
Advance Auto and Auto Zone have loaner fuel pump pressure testers.

Last edited by rhandwor; 04-18-2015 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:31 PM

Calling Advance tomorrow. Thanks!

Old 05-05-2015, 08:42 PM

changed injector and fuel pressure regulator. That didn't solve the problem either. Starting to give up hope. Fuel pump next maybe?

Old 05-06-2015, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by joenest
changed injector and fuel pressure regulator. That didn't solve the problem either. Starting to give up hope. Fuel pump next maybe?
You need to check the pressure first. The spool piece should already be installed. Get a loaner fuel pressure test gauge. You may have electrical problems while Auto Zone and Advanced do basic scanning with a good scanner you can monitor a lot of different sensors. Get a quote from Hyundai or an independent for a complete scan with results.
Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More | eBay Search fuel pump testers and Hyundai Kia scanners. I have an MD802 which will do about all you will need.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:52 PM

UPDATE... Its alive !! Went to swap the coil packs and found the connector that plugs into the side of the coil was broken on the inside, so it was a bad connection, enough to register spark but not enough to fire #5 cylinder. Between fixing the connection and swapping the fuel injector (had the plenum off ) and changing #5 plug, it runs like a champ.