Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Transmission Filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 12:08 PM
Default Transmission Filter

I have a 2004 Santa Fe A/T 2wd, 2.4L approaching 30,000 miles. I would like to change the transmission fluid and filter. I picked up the fluid from the dealership and they tried to sell me a screw on filter. I showed them on the transmission that it did not use that type of filter. Then they said that it did not have one. Has anyone else heard this? Does anyone know what type it is? Thanks in advance
Fieldsleah

Old 03-11-2007, 09:44 PM
Default RE: Transmission Filter

Call another dealer and ask to speak to a tech. I have received different answeres from different fealers on other Hyundai matters, so sales person do not know mechanical questions. Check the online car parts and give the vin number. If it lists a filter, then use what is listed. Rockauto.com is one site and autozone is another. There are others. Chances are it is inside the tranny and you have to remove the pan.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:44 AM
Default RE: Transmission Filter

If you do not have a external spin on filter on top of the tranny dont worry about it. That late of a model the filter in the tranny is a screen type behind the valve body.If you attempt to change it you can cause trans damage. There are 3 ***** on top of the valve body that fall when removing it. If you dont know where they go , well you can figure that part out. I recommend a flush and not a drain and fill. With a drain and fill you only remove half the fluid. The other half is in the valve body and torque converter. I dont know how much your dealer charges for a flush. Mine charges about 150.00 labor fluid and everything. It is worth it. Now I know some people are gonna say 150 bucks,,,, @&??!!!!!*&^ thats a rip. Well think about this. That fluid runs about 6 bucks a quart. It takes 12 quarts to do the flush. Thats 72 bucks. So you got about 78 in labor. Thats about an hour charge. It will flush it better than you can ever , also the vehicle is done at a dealer so they cant comeback and say you did not properly service the tranny if you ever have any problems down the road. Just my 2 cents.