Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Transmission Hesitation During 1st and 2nd Gear Shift

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 12:59 PM
Default Transmission Hesitation During 1st and 2nd Gear Shift

I have a 2007 Santa Fe with only 14000 miles. I've noticed ever since owning the vehicle that the transmission hesitates when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear (a stalling out feeling). Is the gear ratio between 1st and 2nd gear that far off from one another that it lags between shifts? This is the first Hyundai I've owned and I didn't recall this when driving other Santa Fe's.

Also, when cold I hear a odd rattle noise when the transmission shifts from either 1st to 2nd gear or 2nd to 3rd gear. It goes away after it warms up. Very odd, as if something isn't meshing properly with other components when shifting.

Scott

Old 03-12-2008, 01:24 PM
Default RE: Transmission Hesitation During 1st and 2nd Gear Shift

I have the 3.3 ltr engine. I notice this to a degree, but when I feel it shift, I give it a little more gas, and that seems to make the transition smoother when accelerating. If I keep the gas pedal in the same position, there seems to be a bit of a lag between gears.

As for the noise, I know that in the front of the Santa Fe, there will be a clicking noise when taking off cold between 1st and 2nd, or 2nd and 3rd. I found that this is the Stability or Traction Control testing itself. My two cents.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:54 PM

ORIGINAL: cdoo

I have the 3.3 ltr engine. I notice this to a degree, but when I feel it shift, I give it a little more gas, and that seems to make the transition smoother when accelerating. If I keep the gas pedal in the same position, there seems to be a bit of a lag between gears.

As for the noise, I know that in the front of the Santa Fe, there will be a clicking noise when taking off cold between 1st and 2nd, or 2nd and 3rd. I found that this is the Stability or Traction Control testing itself. My two cents.
Same here... I give it a little bit of gas to keep if from falling on its face. I don't like it. Doesn't feel smooth.

In reference to the second item, this noise is the stability or traction control testing itself? That's odd. Does anyone have anything to back this up. Otherwise, I'm going in to have this looked at.

Scott

Old 03-18-2008, 10:21 PM

If the noise we hear is in the engine compartment and a clicking noise...I read this in the 2007 owners manual section 2 (driving your hyundai) page 15, the "note" under Anti-Lock Brake System. On certain earlier productions of this model, there was a click\clank when shifting from park to drive, reverse. A Technical Service Bulletin was issued for a missing or needed washer in the transaxle.

This may or may not be the same thing we are hearing, but I'd take take it into the dealer to have a service record made out and that it is a concern and to cover yourself if it is something defective.

This site has tsb's, error codes, etc..., just need to set up an account http://hmaservice.com/

Old 03-24-2008, 12:34 PM

I was looking at Technical Service Bulletins, and TSB 08-EM-001-1 deals with a Timing chain tensioner. This is a more likely source for the rattle noise you hear. It would be the timing chain(s) hitting against the housing. I'd mention this TSB to the dealer. It looks like a fairly extensive repair, so they may just need to be reminded of it.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:36 PM

I was looking at TSB 08-em-001-1 which deals with the timing chain tensioners. This could be a more qualified cause of a rattling noise you hear up front. The sound of the timing chain(s) against the housing does make a rattling noise. I had a nissan with the issue. It looks like a fairly extensive procedure. Your service department may need a little reminding of the TSB number.