Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

transmission slow to shift?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 10:26 AM
Default transmission slow to shift?

'05 Santa Fe with 120K miles. This is my sister-in-law's sister's vehicle, so I don't know that much about it at this time. This issue just cropped up a couple of days ago and seems to be intermittent (she said that it shifted fine earlier yesterday, but when I drove it last night it seemed as if the rpms were higher than necessary to make the shift).

ABS and TCS lights have been on for over a year now (they both came on at the same time). I am thinking that these lights are on due to an ABS wheel sensor that has failed, but have not had a chance to look into that further. As it stands, I do not believe that this has anything to do with the way the trans is shifting.

The check engine light was also on, so I pulled the OBD II codes. Got a 0420, 0430, and 0430 P/D. These are catalyst efficiency codes, so once again, nothing to do with the trans.

Took the vehicle out for a spin after clearing the codes. The engine was at the normal operating temperature and had been driven over to my location over a distance of about a half mile at 25mph. These are my observations after taking it out for a 4 mile drive with speeds up to 50mph.

1-2 shift at 2700 rpm
2-3 shift at 2500 rpm
3-4 shift at 2100 rpm
The above observations were made while gradually accelerating. Seems to me that these shifts should be occurring at a lower rpm based on the amount of throttle input.

The check engine light did not come back on, but I checked for codes anyway and the 0430 P/D reappeared. Spoke with the owner regarding the way the trans has been shifting since she bought it in '10. She said that it has always made the shifts between 1500-2000 rpm, even in the dead of winter (located in south central Michigan).

I checked the trans fluid with the vehicle running at operating temperature and in neutral (as stated in the owner's manual). It was just below the lower mark of the hot range. I told her to add the correct fluid to bring it to the top mark and get back with me.

Anyone else have similar issues with their Santa Fe trannys? Thank you for your time and consideration. Rob