Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

04 Sonata Tail Light Problem

Old 03-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Default 04 Sonata Tail Light Problem

Hey, I have both rear parking brakes not working, and I was wondering which lights are used for the parking light.

For example, there are the four bulbs per side when I take the panel off, two circle ones, and the two lights on the bottom. I was just wondering if anyone knows which bulb is used for the parking lights so that I can isolate the problem.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by JimmyRP
Hey, I have both rear parking brakes not working,
Check the cables and adjustment of the shoes to the drums

and I was wondering which lights are used for the parking light.
With the light switch on, there is 3 bulbs per lamp housing that will light to illuminate the relative position of vehicle to the road (tail and side mark bulbs)

At the left rear (driver side) lamp housing, the outside red circle is a tail light, the inside red circle is a tail light and brake light...

Step on the brake pedal, source voltage is applied to the 2nd filament (higher wattage/brighter) for stop light... there is also a sidemark bulb to light up the side of the lamp housing there at corner of fender, grey socket with black and red wire going to it, and usually the lamp housing gasket partially covers it...

For example, there are the four bulbs per side when I take the panel off, two circle ones, and the two lights on the bottom. I was just wondering if anyone knows which bulb is used for the parking lights so that I can isolate the problem.

I want to say the outside bulb is a 1156 (single post/filament), and the inside buld is 2057 (dual filament) ... note the pins on the base of the bulb, 1 is high, other is low... this is to insure bulb installed correct so as to not have bright bulb glow (brake light) when tail lights turned,,, so pay attention to bulb/socket align when replacing bulb.. always tell the amatuer DIY going down road with 1 brake light on and rest is dim tail lights.

[/quote]

Carefully inspect your lights, the yellow lens at each side of the front bumper cover between wheel and headlamp is supposed to illuminate too.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:50 PM

alright thanks that really helps