Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2000 sonata transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Default 2000 sonata transmission problem

Hi, I have a 2.5l V6 4speed Auto. When driving the trans will drop back into 3rd and stay there, when you slow down to a stop and take off it's still in 3rd. But if i stop the car turn it off for a while its ok, till the next time, any Ideas?

Old 03-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Banned

How many miles do you have?
When was the last fluid change? Fluid flush?
Did you do a trouble code scan?
What condition is the fluid in?
Is there the correct amount of fluid?

Old 03-03-2009, 07:16 PM

You need to get it scanned. If it is going into 3rd gear failsafe but resets after turning the car off it is electrical. probably a input or output speed sensor.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:32 PM
Default Transmission problem nearly fixed!

Howdy. Brought the car to a mechanic who scanned the trans and came up with a faulty output speed sensor .Now iv'e had the car 9 years (120,000km)and it was just getting on to 5 years when this problem 1st occured and had the sensor replaced and fixed the fault till now, so i decided to go and just put a new sensor in. Two days later problem back again. Only thing is im not too sure now if the mechanic said it was the input or output sensor( will find out today) If it is the output sensor then i will get a free one under warranty from the dealership i bought the last one from cos its only 3 months old.If its the input sensor i'll pay for that one.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Default Sonata transmision stuck in 3rd

Hi, it is the Input sensor and i'll be getting it changed this Tuesday 10th March hope it goes OK!

Old 03-09-2009, 06:37 AM
Banned

Sounds like the dealer owes you a new sensor anyway since he misdiagnosed the problem the first time

Old 03-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Default Sonata transmission Problem

Iv'e finally had the Input sensor replaced and so far its been going great. The first time I had the problem I brought it to the dealership and had the Output sensor replaced under warranty. A few years later (Last Nov/Dec) It started going back to 3rd so i thought right its doing the same thing i'll get another output sensor put it in and the same problem was still there. Thats when (with the current fault) that i took it to a different dealership (20 kms closer) they scanned it and told me it was the INPUT sensor, so I couldnt get the 2nd output sensor replaced under warranty because that wasn't the problem. Any way it always dropped back into 3rd driving 25kms to work and also coming home again, I have done this 3 times and it's still going great. I really hope that the problems been fixed.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Banned

Hurray for you! Good going.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:28 PM
Default Sonata transmission problem, not anymore!

Howdy, the transmission is fixed so far it hasnt changed back, you know that feeling in the back of your head that it could do it any second! With these input/output speed sensors it seems to be a very common problem with Hyundai/Sonata's, especially checking on the net and this forum, has Hyundai ever had a recall? am I wrong to assume this, thanks

Old 03-25-2012, 01:23 PM
Default Input Speed Sensor 2000 Hyn Sonata

I have a 2000 Hyundai Sonata that was showing the same symptoms with its transmission. I took it to Auto Zone for a free diagnostics test. I discovered just what this site was saying and that is either the input or output speed sensor is bad. The reading showed the input speed sensor was bad.
I wanted to purchase the sensor and install myself but my time was short so I let the dealer do the work for 461 and some change. I want to thank this website and all the comments about this problem. I will repost if the part fails and or the symptoms return.

Quick Reply: 2000 sonata transmission problem