Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2000 Sonata V6

Old 07-28-2009, 08:59 PM
Default 2000 Sonata V6

Hello everyone, Im new here with a wierd problem on a 2000 Sonata 2.0 V6.

We heard what sounded like the Serp belt squealing and making noises and figured that with 193k miles on the car and not remembering if we had ever replaced the belt or not that it was time to do so.

Took off the bent thought the tensioner assembly was bad. come to find out it was and a new belt had just slid off and got eat up on the back side against the motor.

While changing the belt the first time we notice the belt we took off was 4 groove and the one going on was 6 groove. No big deal made a few calls to a few local parts places and to the local Hyundai dealer and they say a 6 groove belt is what we need anyway.

I put the belt on route it right. Slide it within the guide / rub marks on the pulleys and the teeth are seated on the others.

Start the car and it runs fine.

I drive the car slightly rough for about 1/4 mile. Stop and check and its fine.

Get in and drive about 1/2 mile then turn and drive back. Turned the wheel hard left and turned the AC on and off a few times. No squeals and no sounds the Belt problem was basically fixed.

Pull into the driveway and pop the hood and the belt has slid forward this time and is rubbing on the tensenior arm and shreeding some of the side of the belt off.

No Idea whats going on the crank/harmonic balancer pulley is loose but just a little you can see it moving a little when its running. I just have no idea where to start to look.

any advice?

Old 07-29-2009, 04:21 AM
Banned

Harmonic balancer is "moving"???? Harmonic balancers don't move. They get put on cockeyed because somebody didn't line up the registration key on the pulley properly. This could be your whole problem.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:59 AM

Thanks it appears that its moving a little bit down there (side to side) when the car is running not much but a little wobble.. The car for the most part is all factory and has 193k miles on it. IMO I think something has just gave out finally we bought it with 11k on the odometer.

EDIT: Whats required to take this out and change it looks like a tough spot to get too and change? Dealer part only?

Old 07-29-2009, 01:19 PM
Banned

Harmonic balancers don't "give out", they're just a hunk of metal. If it wobbles, then it's not on there straight. You take it off and make sure it's positioned properly. To remove it:

Take off accessory belts
Jack up the car and take the wheel off.
Unbolt the harmonic balancer and remove it from underneath.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:12 PM

Well why would all of a sudden the belt be jumping off? When we first noticed a squeal we put on some belt lube.

Next thing we did was decided to change the belt. The one that was on the car was a 4 groove. All the ones we have chewed up and got from the parts stores are 6.

Any light on that?