Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2001 sonata can't set alarm after battery died

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 07:47 AM
Default 2001 sonata can't set alarm after battery died

Car batter died. Jump start car, no problems. Replaced battery (still under warranty), and now alarm can't be armed. LED stays off. This is a Hyundai genuine accessory. Remote key fobs work fine to lock and unlock doors, and the lights flash as per usual with the door lock or unlock. But the alarm is not armed, iow, you an open the doors with a key after locking with RKE fob, and alarm is never activated.
I thought it might have something to do with setting valet mode, and there's away to do this with the RKE: open door, press lock on RKE, press unlock within one second, press lock with one second. Should toggle valet mode this way, but it doesn't do anything. Any ideas on how to arm the alarm system after battery died? Could there be a bad fuse? Which and where? Thanks for any help.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Default RE: 2001 sonata can't set alarm after battery died

Car batter died. Jump start car, no problems. Replaced battery (still under warranty), and now alarm can't be armed. LED stays off. This is a Hyundai genuine accessory. Remote key fobs work fine to lock and unlock doors, and the lights flash as per usual with the door lock or unlock. But the alarm is not armed, iow, you an open the doors with a key after locking with RKE fob, and alarm is never activated.
Hmmm, this is a bit of a mystery. According to the 2001 Sonata owners manual, the alarm is now functioning as originally designed (see attached pages). Using the key to unlock the door is suppose to deactivate the alarm. No indicator LED is mentioned, no valet mode is mentioned. You might try locking the car with the fob while sitting in it and then manually open the door. If the alarm is on, it should go off. Otherwise, you will know that the alarm is not working at all.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4972/1C0B09F51813401C9F3650F74C8A80E2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4972/8141D53AE6624257B4EF794222D637A2.jpg[/IMG]

I checked the Hyundai service site to see if an optional alarm system was offered, but the service documentation cites the same functions as the manual. If what you have is an aftermarket addon, you might check around the battery terminals and main battery cables. There may be a power and/or ground lead that was connected directly to the battery during installation that was left undone when the new battery was installed. Fuse? Very possible, but if an aftermarket system, it could be anywhere. For starters, you could check every fuse in the box under the hood and the one under the dash on the drivers side of the passenger compartment. If you are the oriignally owner, you may need to contact the dealership you bought the car from to sort out the differences between the functionality and the documentation. Dealer added options are usually not well documented, sometimes not at all.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:59 PM

Thanks for that, and posting the jpgs. I've still got the manualand agree there's no mention of anything that corresponds to the problem. No discussion of valet switches, etc. Re: aftermarket alarm etc., I am now staring at a separate paper card as an insert to the manual but not attached to it. It is definitely a Hyundai accessory and described as such:

"Congratulations on the purchase of your Hyundai Sonata security system accessory upgrade. This popular accesory makes protecting your new Sonata simple and convenient. Please take a moment to review the operation of your Hyundai security system."

On the back of the card are instructions: To arm the system; disarm; disarm w/o transmitter; to enter valet mode;panic mode;remote valet, but none of it helps. There is an LED mounted on the steering wheel column, that now never lights or blinks. Used to be in armed mode it would blink to scare off evil dooers. Went to the hyundai site, didn't see anything. I'll give them (h.usa) a call tomorrow, but local dealer told me there's not valet switch...maybe codes are screwed up. I dunno.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:53 PM

Did you test the basic alarm function? If so and if it works, then you still have some protection while you sort this out with the dealer and HMA.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:29 PM

Yup. checked it first thing. Doesn't work., You can lock door with RKE (used to set alarm) and open the door, no alarm. (Alarm is horn blow) Btw, panic mode works to sound alarm. Hold down lock on RKE and horn blares until turned off with RKE. I'm stumped. If I get a suitable response from HMA, I'll post it.

Thanks for your interest.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:26 PM
Default RE: 2001 sonata can'

If I get a suitable response from HMA, I'll post it.
Good luck with HMA.