Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2002 Hyundai Sonata V6 (automatic trans) won't start - alarm system or fuse(s)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 10:01 PM
Default 2002 Hyundai Sonata V6 (automatic trans) won't start - alarm system or fuse(s)?

The dome light was left on and drained the battery. I attempted to jump startcar but I accidently/briefly crossed the cable. After correcting my error, I did manage to jump start the car but then the audible alarm (Hyundai stock alarm) came on.Attempted to disarm the alarm with the remote with no avail. The car was then turned off and so did the alarm. When I attempted to start it again, even jump start it, it would not turn on and all I got was a clicking noise as if the starter went out. The audible alarm no longer comes on. I removed the starter and battery, had them checked and they turned out to be in good working order. I then of course put them back on.

I noticed that the radio, clock and power lockswere not functioning so I checked the fuse (interior compartment) and discovered that it was burnt out. I replaced the fuse and the radio, clock and power locksare now in working order.I then noticed that the power windows and taillights were not working. Also the keyless remote still does not arm/disarm the alarm although the light on the remote comes on.I attempted to start the car and still got the clicking from the starter and clickingfrom underneath the dash behind the fuse compartment (a black box with possibly relays). The clicking coming from behind the fuse compartment is also heard while the key is in the ignition- set at the ACC position. I checked all the fuses (interior/hood compartment) with a light tester and they all seem to be in working order. The engine light is on when I attempt to start the car and so is the mileage display. The batteryalso remains charged.

Is this being caused by the alarm system and/or is there a fuse(s) out? If it is the alarm system can you please explain how to reset it. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:31 PM
Default RE: 2002 Hyundai Sonata V6 (automatic trans) won't start - alarm system or fuse(s)?

Additionally,

Forgot to mention (very important) that the first/vertical row of fuses [RR HTD IND, A/CON SW, START, TAIL (LH) and TAIL(RH)] on the lefthand side of the interior fuse compartment are not getting any current. The only one in that row that lights up the light tester is the P/SEAT fuse.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2002 Hyundai Sonata V6 (automatic trans) won't start - alarm system or fuse(s)?

You need to check not only the fuses but the fusable links and relays too in both the passenger compartment and engine compartment boxes:

Old 04-25-2008, 09:28 AM

The last diagram (rear), is that the rear of the passenger fuse compartment? And can I get to that without having to remove the fuse box? Secondly, I know how to check the fuses with the light tester but how do I go about checking relays? And finally, do u suspect that the alarm is not the problem? I know it's a guess on the last question but just curious on your thoughts. Thanks again and I hope you aren't bothered by additional questions. I'm sure I'll think of more as i go on.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:36 PM

Thanx Joe Peppe (auto paint expert-Allexperts.com) and NovaResource!

Through research and asking questions the problem has been solved! Yessss! It turns out that when I crossed the jump cables the 'Fusible link 120A' -connected to the positive cable of the battery - burnt out. It served it's purpose! I'm sure I saved a lot of money doing this on my own. There is no telling what a dishonest mechanic would've charged me. FYI...I tested this fuse with a light tester and it appeared to be in working order but it was not the case. It is possible, of course, that I didn't test this fuse properly. In any case,the problem has been solved and my girlfriend is very happy she has her car back. Hey, who knows, I just may get LUCKY tonight....lol! Thanx again Joe Peppe and NovaResource! And Ihope that my posted problem/answer/headache[:@] willhelp others.

Take care n god bless!

Old 04-29-2008, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

Great news. Doesn't it feel awesome to fix something yourself. Good job.