Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2002 Keyless Entry Remote

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 02:01 AM
Default 2002 Keyless Entry Remote

I am trying to figure out my options here. I bought a keyless remote on eBay for a 2002 Sonata. I want to program it:

1. The instructions I have talk about removing the "center fascia" and accessing a box behind there. First, which part it the center fascia and how hard is it to do this. I am competent with disassembling interior parts and all....

2. Can the dealership do it without removing all this stuff (i.e. Hi-Scan), do they typically charge for the service? I am going to try to convince them it is the original remote and it just quit working anyway.

3. Any other way to do this that is easier??

Thanks! This is a christmas present for my mother. It will be hard enough to go there and get a hold of the car for a bit, I was hoping to have it working before Christmas. She had 2 remotes when the car was new, one was lost and the other broken.

Old 12-08-2006, 03:24 PM
Default RE: 2002 Keyless Entry Remote

The centre facia is the centre piece where the clock, radio and a/c controls are fitted. I have been told that this can just be prised out, but I have never tried it simply because it looks awful easy to break, and I guess it would not be cheap to replace.

The dealer can reprogram it. I had one done, I had to leave the car for about half an hour and they charged me about £20.

Old 01-01-2007, 08:39 PM
Default RE: 2002 Keyless Entry Remote

Ok, I am going to share my knowledge here, if there was a DIY section on this forum I would have put it there.

Here is the way to do it yourself on any 02-whatever bodystyle Sonata. It isnt too hard and will save you the 40 bucks the dealerships want to do it.

1. Remove the center panel\radio surround. It simply prys off with a screwdriver. Pry evenly from all sides to prevent breaking the piece.

2. Disconnect all the wires to this piece and get it out of the way.

3. You will see a little box on the left behind the ashtray. Mine was clearly marked Keyless Entry System. You are looking for a switch labeled SET and OFF, it should be in the OFF position. To get to this switch on my car required further work, if you can see and easily access it, skip to step 9.

4. I had to remove the lower dash panel (part under the steering wheel). There are three screws, 2 under the dash that are pretty easy to get to and one behind the Cruise, TCS, etc switches.

5. The switches can be pried out easily with a screwdriver, disconnect them and set them aside. Under here is the third screw.

6. The panel is now only held on by a few clips pull firmly but be careful not to break the piece, it isnt too hard to remove.

7. You can see the 2 bolts that hold on the keyless entry system on the right side. They are both 10mm bolts, remove these.

8. The keyless system is loose now, but do not disconnect the wires. Follow the next steps to program it. The SET and OFF switches are on the back of the unit that was not visible before unbolting the unit.

9. Turn the switch to the SET position and press the lock or unlock button on one or two remotes. NOTE: You can only program 2 remotes!

10. Turn the switch back to the OFF position and test the remotes to see that they work. If not, try 9 again.

11. Reinstall everything just as you removed it, and you are done.

It seems like a lot, as I tried to be detailed in my instructions. It shouldn't take but about 30 mins with the instructions. I spent a while figuring out how to do it with MINIMAL instructions. Hope I can help someone. I can probably come up with diagrams if someone wants them, e-mail me at kentkalk@sbcglobal.net as I don't come on this forum much. (Hyundai is my mother's car, not mine)