Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2002 sonata power steering problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 06:25 PM
Question 2002 sonata power steering problems

The power steering on my sonata is giving me fits.
A) I lose power when pulling into a parking spot, etc.
B) The power steering pump is making a loud tapping noise
c) There is a "whining noise" whenever the steering wheel is hot pointed straight.
The car is a 2002 4 cylinder, manual transmission.

What I have done:
Replaced pump (4 times) each one makes tapping noise
Replaced high pressure switch
Replaced high pressure hose
Replaced steering rack
Replaced low pressure (return) hose
Bled system by turning wheel lock to lock with car on lift, first with engine off, then with car on.
New Power steering fluid
New belt

Any body ever have any experience with this? Have any ideas?

Old 11-03-2009, 10:46 AM

what type of fluid are you using? if the power steering pumps were remans i know they recommend certain brands of fluid to ensure quality fluid. if all your parts are genuine hyundai i know their are different fluid requirements.

also you might want to try a power steering flush! mike

Old 11-03-2009, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by ottoX
Have any ideas?
You might consider checking the screen in the bottom of the reservois tank. See http://www.hmaservice.com/files/331/...-ST-001pdf.pdf . You replaced just about every other item in the PS system.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:17 AM

Thanks for the input. I am using regular over the counter power steering fluid - there is a lot of controversy as to what fluid to use, as the PSF3 Hyundai recommends doesn't actually seem to exist. I may have to try Dexron 3 -automatic trans fluid as that is what about half the posts regarding fluid seem to recomend.

As far as the screen and flush - Did that while assembling various parts. Took the reservoir off and cleaned it and the screen, which was actually pretty clean.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by ottoX
Thanks for the input. I am using regular over the counter power steering fluid - there is a lot of controversy as to what fluid to use, as the PSF3 Hyundai recommends doesn't actually seem to exist. I may have to try Dexron 3 -automatic trans fluid as that is what about half the posts regarding fluid seem to recomend.
The attachment is the lubrication chart out of the owner's manual of the 1999 Sonata. PSF3 is, or was, Dexron II. Using Dexron III or a fluid designated Dexron II/III would be the logical choice since I doubt you can find true Dexron II anymore. I would not use Dexron V (if tempted) since that is a totally different fluid, and may not be compatable with the pump seals.

Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails 2002 sonata power steering problems-99sonata.jpg