Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2003 Hyundai Sonata Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 05:01 PM
Default 2003 Hyundai Sonata Won't Start

Hi,

I am hoping someone out there will be able to help me with this problem, as I've seen multiple others with the same issue.

My car is a 2003 Hyundai Sonata, 2.4L 4 cyl. Last night on my way home from work, the car stalled in the middle of the road. All electrical remained on, but I lost my power steering and brakes. Now, the engine will crank and turn over, but it won't start. Basically, the engine is not getting any fuel.

My spark plugs are less than a year old, same for alternator, new ignition coils, all belts ok, fuses seem to be ok, starter ok. The tow truck driver said that there is a fuel pump relay switch somewhere on the car that can get agitated and pop out. He said that if you push it back into place, the problem could be as simple as that.

Can anyone tell me where the fuel pump relay switch is on my car? If anyone could take a picture of theirs, that would be the most helpful. Any pictures of the fuel system would also be helpful.

Thanks,
Jared

Old 08-22-2009, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

First, are you sure it's the fuel? Did you test the pump?

Don't assume. First thing to do is have the codes in the computer read. Do you have an OBD-II code reader? If not, go to an auto parts stort (like Autozone) that will read the codes for free.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:32 PM
Default Engine Codes Checked

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply; I had to wait for my OBDII scanner to come in the mail.

I just got done checking the error code on my car, and it came up as P0335. I looked this up, and this is what I found: P0335

It is supposedly a "Magnetic Crankshaft Position Sensor Electrical Error".

My car will still crank, but will not run. I did an ear check with my fuel pump, and I did not hear it turn on. This could be due the the aforementioned error.

If anyone knows what the problem could be, how to diagnose it, and how to fix it... Let me know.

Thanks,
Jared

Old 08-27-2009, 05:27 PM
Banned

So replace the crankshaft sensor. It's probably the most common reason a car becomes DOA.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:26 AM

Ok thanks. I actually just had a mechanic replace my alternator/water pump belt for me. It just so happens that the crankshaft position sensor is located right in the middle of the serpentine belt... My car died the night he replaced that. Suspicious?! That's what I get for not having my tools on me and having someone else do it.

I'm guessing it might just be unplugged or slightly tampered with. If not, I will just replace the sensor itself, $65.99 at Autozone.

Thanks guys.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:47 PM

I think on that engine the crank sensor is actually under the timing belt. Its a bear to get to, about the same amount of work as replacing the timing belt. There is a connector from the sensor that may be somewhere you mentioned that he may have hit.